How to play an 80-inch symphonic gong

Oppa Gongman Style?

3 Likes

Keep on banging, Roger !!

2 Likes

Now I know what my 1 room apartment is missing.

Also…

Now I know what I want to be when I grow up.

I think this gong post bong would be a nice pairing.

4 Likes

As a fan of live opera, I recognized these sounds but until now had no idea they were made by the symphony’s gong player. This will make next season even better. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

:smile: Love this song!

It’s like “get hyped” synthesized.

There are the more typical symphonic gongs and there are what I call meditative gongs. Each grouping is made for different purposes and sounds. Gongs typically used in symphonies are to give a crash or splash sound and have a narrower range of sound and short sustain. What I call meditative gongs are for mellowing out and deep relaxation and when played by a skilled person can take you to another world

2 Likes

Evidently you have to get it breathing first.

I’d hit that bong…

I mean, gong.

But really I’d hit an 80-inch symphonic bong. That sounds like a good time, man.

3 Likes

Boooooo

4 Likes

Fixed it for you.

3 Likes

That’s not how you do it: this guy never actually touches the gong, which is just as well as the gong was made of plaster and bronze paint. The actual gong sound was recorded by the percussionist James Blades, who gave this factoid in his book.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Just look at it.

3 Likes

Worth every dollar. Now on to the practicalities: how do you get that thing down the stairs and into your car when the symphony calls?

1 Like

Now I am imagining one of these strapped to the roof of a mini cooper. :joy:

1 Like

My sister, who is a percussionist tells me that the one thing that Mike Oldfield couldn’t play properly was the tubular bells. He hits them in the wrong place (too near a n/7th point?) which gives nasty overtones.

2 Likes

Close, but not 5 miles out?

2 Likes

All the way…to France.

2 Likes

I was friends with his cousin for many years. Musical talent abounds in that family.

Is it possible he was choosing that ‘wrong’ sound because the piece was commissioned for “The Exorcist”? He wanted it to be a little off, a little jarring. No?

1 Like

The Pot-Head Pixies agree with you.

2 Likes