How to write a Smiths song in one minute

Originally published at: How to write a Smiths song in one minute | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I love Desmond Doom!

3 Likes

(Desmond Doom provides a great example: “On England’s such a charming place, I hate this job, but at least I get to see your face”)

Wow, that could be really dark scenario depending on how you think about it.

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

Well, his name is Desmond DOOM, not Desmond Hope! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Needs way more whining.

5 Likes

I can still generally listen to The Smiths — it was more than Morrissey, it was a specific mix and blend of those four musicians that made their music so great. I definitely can’t listen to any of Morissey’s solo stuff anymore. (But it was never anywhere near as good anyway.)

3 Likes

3 Likes

Finish the song, Des!

RIP Andy Rourke.

2 Likes

I don’t want that. Where do I get a Mårr?

3 Likes

I actually really like the smiths’ music (though that’s been tainted by my dislike of morissey) … but the 3 note thing is something I’ve always noticed and once I think about it too much it starts to grate on my ears. The Los Angeles band X does a very similar thing. I appreciate them in a lot of ways and I don’t hate them by any means but I literally can’t listen to more than one song by them before it’s painful. It gives me a weary, exhausted feeling somehow. Sort of like the opposite feeling of when a really great song drops the bass or a cool chorus hits. Know what I mean? Ha.

1 Like
4 Likes
  1. There is a Light that Never Goes Out
    This is pretty much the indie rock equivalent of “I Will Always Love You. In all seriousness though, this is a beautifully assembled, emotionally charged song of unrequited love against the backdrop of the subject being ostracized and disowned by their family. And yet they are completely at peace with dying right then and there because they’re with the right person. On a less serious note, it’s also kind of funny to imagine Morrissey being flattened by a double-decker bus

Tee hee!

2 Likes

I Posted Morrissey Lyrics on Facebook for a Month and Nobody Called to Check on Me

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.