Howard Stern on CNN: Trump "disgusted" by his fan base

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/13/howard-stern-on-cnn-trump-d.html

8 Likes

Remember when conservatives said Obama was “arrogant”?

adjective: arrogant

1. having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one’s own importance or abilities.

Of course we all know “arrogant” was just another way for them to say “uppity” but if you take the racial overtones out of it then it’s Trump to a T.

43 Likes

I see no reason to choose one or the other.

33 Likes

I never voted for the orange fucker; still:

I hate you right back, Howard Stern - you’re one of the douchebags who gave him a platform in the first place.

60 Likes

How about that. I never expected to agree with Trump on anything, but I am also disgusted by his supporters. For different reasons, of course. But the end result is the same. Would anyone please drag them from the ballroom so I can get back to enjoying things?

19 Likes

He wouldn’t be a successful con man if he respected his marks.

33 Likes

The idea that Trump was carried to victory by the “deplorables” we all see photographed at rallies has been pretty well debunked. Trump led Clinton in every income bracket except <$50,000. Mar-a-Lago might not have very many Stern listeners, but it wouldn’t have any shortage of Trump voters. We have to get past this bias about Trump’s support and focus on the real opposition.

16 Likes

Anyone else get an autoplaying video on the BB post? :grimacing:

In regards to Trump despising his base, no shit. He doesn’t care about anyone but himself.

13 Likes

I don’t follow. How does one’s income make one any less deplorable?

When Hillary Clinton made her “basket of deplorables” comment she wasn’t referring to people who supported Trump because they were gross poor people, she was referring to people who supported Trump because they were racist/misogynist/xenophobes.

60 Likes

No autoplaying video here but I’ve been getting this super annoying John Deere ad that puts a green frame around the entire site. You can close it but it just comes back seconds later. It has me looking for an Android ad-blocker, something I’ve never had to do in over a decade of owning an Android phone.

9 Likes

Yep, on two separate views.

6 Likes

Yes. And my page is so obscured by ads that it looks like a TV show from Idiocracy.

13 Likes

Firefox for android with ublock origin works great for me!

9 Likes

Donald fits both his criteria, so I guess he does hate Donald.

2 Likes

I think they are the “useful idiots” that make a good show. YMMV.

2 Likes

You beat me to it!

2 Likes

I’m on a desktop with two separate ad-blockers. To me it looks like an embedded video related to the Howard Stern thing which is fine but the autoplaying is obnoxious, if that’s the case i’d prefer a link to the video rather than an embed.

3 Likes

His backers are the rich, white dudes who carried him to victory. They will continue to back him so long as he delivers his tax cuts, deregulation, forces their serfs back into the fields and provides a reliable distraction to what they are doing. That doesn’t mean they like him. Behind closed doors, they’ll even say so to each other. They’re already planning for the next move.

His fans aren’t necessarily poor. They are, in fact, mostly in the lower-middle to middle income bracket. There are less of them than it seems, because they are loud and obnoxious. These are the people buying his hats and T-shirts and crying “Praise Trump”.

And you are right in that there is a big danger in his backers. The problem is that his backers have figured out that his fans are a volatile bunch and can use that to their advantage. We can’t ignore either group, because if you think that the fans aren’t dangerous – especially when the backers move on – then you’re being naive.

Part of me wonders if moves like this by Stern are part of trying to ease off some of the risk created by the fans, because the backers are considering a new front-man and know that if they do that before the cult loses faith, they risk their weapon blowing up in their faces.

17 Likes

I’ve wondered about this before on this site: is there anything that anyone can say to the hardcore Trump followers that will make a damned bit of difference?

In some ways Stern is a good fit for Trumpers, but he was anti-Trump back in 2016, so why would they listen to him now?

3 Likes

What ads? Ublock Origin is your friend.

6 Likes