Human and opossum are best friends

You will not be surprised to learn that 305 is a Florida area code.

I do like the Circle Of Vibrissae around the critter’s nose, which would make a good rock band name.

4 Likes

I image that they are what out ancient ancestors looked like; surviving extinction level events and dinosaurs.

4 Likes

My sweet little boy Mr. Puppy was the gentlest, funniest little guy. I miss him so bad. :’(

26 Likes

A possum friend lives in my backyard. It’s favorite hobby is to hang out on a low branch just above my freaking out dog. Possum friend is a good and clever friend.

7 Likes

12 Likes

True, that. One time I picked up a feral kitten and ended up getting bitten. I had to get antibiotics after this red line started creeping up my arm, which was evidently blood poisoning. (The kitten was subsequently named “Hell Bitch,” or H.B. for short.)

5 Likes

Them’s good fer bitin!

4 Likes

How 'bout a classified ad?

(seeing as the thread has mention of teeth and dinos…)

12 Likes

Way back, a family member decided to make friends with the nutria living in the creek nearby. Spent months feeding them to try and tame them. Eventually things went side ways. I recall there was a trip to a hospital.

Nutria. (Not the ones from the story)

6 Likes

On examination I’m forced to give serious consideration to the possibility that opossums are actually dire shrews.

7 Likes

I inadvertently caught a big possum in my open trash barrel once, and it was the fluffiest white trash cat, so beautiful. Sad that their lifespan is so brief.

Of course they are our one North American marsupial, thanks to the rising of the Isthmus of Panama about 3 million years ago setting off the Great American Biotic Interchange:

5 Likes

Apparently half of cat bites get infected, and 1 in 3 people who are bitten on the hand are actually hospitalized as a result. I think I’d rather take my chances with a 'possum bite.

2 Likes

I’ve been bitten by an opossum, and the wound was practically already healed the next day. Every time. Are you absolutely sure it was a possum that bit your cat? Their bites are extremely clean.

3 Likes

And I mean, scientists-should-research-opossum-saliva clean!

2 Likes

Not really, but the stupid cat did stay out overnight, and we do get possums. And they look creepy as hell. QED.

OMG, Teen girl squad!!!

2 Likes

It’s the first thing I think of every time possums come up. Even when I see them while walking the dogs.

1 Like

I can hear the music in my head!

2 Likes

u win photoshop contest thats hilarious

Not my photoshop