Watch: Farmers discover lucky possum that was nearly sawed in two

Originally published at: Watch: Farmers discover lucky possum that was nearly sawed in two | Boing Boing

5 Likes

25 Likes

I love that this is the first comment. It’s what I expect on Boingboing. It’s a reminder to me that I need to put aside the memories and terror I felt when I was trapped against a creek fence by an snarling snapping aggressive opossum as a kid. I still remember my father pulling me up and out after a neighbor called about me screaming in terror.

Also, I’m not saying you are an opossum with a Boingboing account, but it would not surprise me.

12 Likes

Well, my secret is out.

12 Likes

I always thought that the past participle of “to saw” was “sawn”. Is this a British English vs American English thing, or am I just plain mistaken?

2 Likes

Actually, you are “plane” mistaken. :wink:

3 Likes

Are possums and opossums related? I expected a grey little ugly bastard, not reading well enough. Nope, not that. It’s Australia so I expect possums are probably trying to kill ya?

You can tell it’s from 'straya, they’ve censored about every third word

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re cute when they’re babies. Not so cute when they’re an adult and they bite through your big toe when you kick them.

j/k I would never kick an adult possum. I like to kick kittens.

Wow, I learned something today. Copied and pasted from the web:
Opossums and possums are different animals. Opossums live in North America, while possums live in Australia and other countries. Both animals are marsupials, but possums are more closely related to kangaroos.

4 Likes

“Sawn” is British or archaic.

1 Like

Wait, WHAT?

1 Like

Is it really that lucky though? There it was, minding its own business inside its home, when suddenly its home was split in half by a terrifying metal death blade that nearly killed it. Poor thing is bound to have PTSD.

3 Likes

Except American opossums are often called possums.

5 Likes

Damn, i’ve never seen possum propaganda before. I wonder if this is a grass-roots movement or more lies from Big Varmint?

3 Likes

He sounds like John Lennon

Oz possums (unrelated) are pretty timid creatures. Sometimes (not that commonly) in urban areas, if there are trees perhaps that give them access to your roof, they can settle in your ceiling. Then you need to call a possum removalist.

1 Like

If I were to pursue a career as a country and western rapper, I’d call myself Big Varmint.

1 Like

5 Likes

No one I met at this time – doctors, nurses, practicantes, or fellow-patients – failed to assure me that a man who is hit through the neck and survives it is the luckiest creature alive. I could not help thinking that it would be even luckier not to be hit at all.

– George Orwell (on being shot in the throat), Homage to Catalonia

6 Likes