Hurricane Harvey could be strongest storm to hit U.S. in over a decade, and a first for Trump's FEMA

Is there anyone else here who finds the sentiment that “horrible life-destroying natural disasters are just fine, if not, in fact, welcome, as long as they happen to Trump voters” to be something between horrifying and disheartening?

If I’m going to blame Trump for anything, it’s for turning so many decent people into the sort of small-minded, hatred-filled populace that we used to pity.

5 Likes

Fingers crossed for you ex. Remind him that he doesn’t need to hunt for water, just bullets, and a gun bigger than his water purchasing neighbours have.

Following the storm in local news leads to finding some people with their priorities straight:

It’s a little weird that people are buying huge amounts of what comes out of their taps for free and paying more than they do for gasoline. Don’t they have any containers to put water in? They aren’t dealing with this kind of circumstance for the first time.

1 Like

Oh it’ll be along the lines of:

‘I’ve heard terrible things about the storm in Buttfuck County, just terrible. We’re going to do everything we can for the beautiful, beautiful people in Buttfuck. I won Buttfuck in November by the way, the biggest victory ever - it was tremendous. All good.’

3 Likes

For those of you who remember the long post I wrote about climate change last year, this is why I was talking about “global warming is a risk multiplier for political hazards”.

7 Likes

Hang tight, and stay safe. Keep away from those randomly appearing streams you never knew were there before. :wink:

@tlwest: Can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m actively concerned that people are going to suffer far more than is reasonable because of the incompetence of the current Administration. We’ve seen FEMA incompetence before, and we know it kills people. While I have less than zero desire to ever set foot in the state of Texas again, I do not wish to see them punished for taking a grifter at face value. That would be victim blaming, and it’s not OK.

11 Likes

The only good part about that thread.

1 Like

Fuck me I need like all the alcohol after reading that.

4 Likes

In the primary, most Republicans voted for Ted Cruz.
But, of course, in the election, the State went for Trump.
Houston & Harris County went for Clinton & the Democratic slate.

1 Like

That is outrageous stereotyping, showing the contempt Coastal elites have for folks living in God’s country.
There is no Buttfuck County in Texas. There is a town called Dumb-Ass.
http://tomadair.com/2016/05/07/dumb-ass-texas/

It’s already raining in Houston.

It isn’t a heavy rain, but they’re forecasting it will last to Tuesday. Or Thursday. Which will probably lead to flooding.

3 Likes

Houston and Johnson Space Center about to take a hard hard hit from Harvey. I love “Space City” and have visited plenty of times. It’s on fairly low ground… Oh dear…

I love some of what makes Houston very special, even though I’d never live there (I find driving stressful in a town that densely covered in roads and people). Amazing set of Houston mayors recently:

Currently:

Previously:

And before that, Hurricane Katrina for this mayor, who did… ok… :

2 Likes

Yup. It well may need its own thread. First heard of it on This American Life (radio).

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/transcript

One of the weirder things about U.S. “Law” and that is pretty weird already.

I haven’t told many stories about my ex-fiance (not the same person as my shallow, douchebag ex with the nice body) but when I mention having known left-leaning firearm aficionados, he’s the first person who comes to mind.

He called me one day about six months ago, pleased as punch with himself because he bought a freakin rocket launcher at a swap meet.

O_o

Add in that he’s former military, and I think any would be looters/scavengers have more to fear from him than vise versa.

Always.

5 Likes

Thanks for a genuine LOL.

3 Likes

De nada.

:wink:

3 Likes

I’m curious if the new ruling has any effect on the matter.

A lot of immigrants in that area will be among those affected. I hope everyone comes out okay.

6 Likes

Wow, NOAA is saying a 6 to 12 foot storm surge, plus 2 to 3 feet of rain. Oof. I don’t think I’ve ever heard rain measured in feet.

And I don’t really care how they voted, I wish them luck.

7 Likes