I am enjoying Birch Bender's Keto Pancake Mix & Maple Syrup

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/i-am-enjoying-birch-benders-keto-pancake-mix-maple-syrup.html

1 Like

“Kept in the fridge it is just fine and tastes like a monkfruit sugar-free maple syrup”

As a New England Yankee, I have to say, no. Also, fuck no.

12 Likes

Gross

2 Likes

I bought a very-low carb pancake mix made with coconut flour so The Teen (who has T1 diabetes) could have the bacon pancakes he’s missed for so long.

Verdict: he really liked them, and they were so low in carbs that he could be more generous with the maple syrup. But not for me - the flavour was wrong, in a damp-dog kind of way. YMMV.

3 Likes

Bacon pancakes, makin’ bacon pancakes! Take a little bacon and put it in a pancake!

1 Like

I love these pancakes too! But I highly recommend using milk instead of water and mixing in an egg (unless you’re trying to eat vegan). That’ll make 'em fluffier!

2 Likes

Could you please just mention on which shelf you found this package, Sprouts, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Stater’s, Albertsons, Ralphs, Gibson’s, Dillon’s, Piggly Wiggly’s, Hen House, United Super, Community Mercantile, Hy-Vee’s, or other? I totally understand the last seven or so might not apply to the Los Angeles area.

1 Like

I shop at a market in the Albertson’s family.

1 Like

Screw that fake mix crap. My recipe for buttermilk pancakes.

250g flour (320g for waffles)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
0.5 tablespoons salt

500ml buttermilk
60g melted butter
3 eggs, separated

Mix the dry ingredients, separate the eggs, and beat the whites until stiff. Mix the butter and milk and yolks with the dry ingredients, short but fast. Fold in the egg whites, and you’re ready for the griddle—I use a crepe pan, because who needs sides?

EDIT: and yeah, all “maple syrup flavor” that isn’t 100% real maple syrup tastes like plastic to me. New Hampshire made me a pancake and maple syrup snob.

1 Like

Bostonian here, I too keep syrup in the fridge. Why are you against putting syrup in the fridge? FWIW I put a little in a mug and zap it before pouring it over pancakes.

As for the monkfruit sugar-free maple syrup… I too say fuck no (unless you’re diabetic or for some other reason can’t enjoy real maple syrup).

I’d be remiss to not mention my favorite gluten-free & ketopaleo-go-to pancake recipe.

1. Mash and mix 1 banana, 2 eggs, and 4 tablespoons of almond flour together (1,2,4 easy to remember). Some people recommend also adding baking powder for fluffier pancakes, those people are wrong.
  2. Add butter to cast-iron pan, pour in mix
  3. Profit $$$

It’s certainly not the same as real pancakes, but it’s warm, fluffy, covered in maple syrup, and you don’t have a normal post-carb crash you’d get from normal pancakes.

2 Likes

Sorry. Bananas=Carbs. Not really keto.

1 Like

Woops, I meant to say paleo. So many different diets!

Yeah, that wasn’t really the part I was objecting too. An open container should be kept in the fridge, or you’ll probably get mold eventually.

But if the syrup didn’t get squeezed out of a maple tree, it ain’t maple syrup.

1 Like

So you know, the Keto version aren’t vegan to begin with: eggs & buttermilk are in the powdered mix.

The original (plain) version are, and are actually quite tasty despite that fact. Especially with real maple syrup.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.