"I don't feel safe" — 'Art of the Deal' co-author fears Trump's return, vows to exit US (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/22/i-dont-feel-safe-art-of-the-deal-co-author-fears-trumps-return-vows-to-exit-us-video.html

11 Likes

This is all 100% terrifyingly true. And the vast majority of us have no “flee the country” option. So let’s make sure it never becomes necessary, eh?

31 Likes

he would use the government against writers, dissidents, political opposition

…scientists, academics, any expert who opposes his agenda. Il Douche’s role model is Putin, and Project 2025 is aimed at undermining and degrading any existing protections the regime’s enemies might avail themselves of.

If he takes the Electoral College again in November, a lot of people who see themselves as targets quietly removing themselves, their families, and their assets from the U.S. if they have the resources to do so Many others will be stuck here.

This. Vote Dem in November. No self-righteous whinging about Biden being too imperfect to vote for, no third-party votes, no staying home. If Biden wins he’ll be out of office in four years; the same can’t be said for his opponent.

25 Likes

Yes.

And it’s not just what trump himself will do. Nazis, for example, will be even more emboldened and will probably not face reprisals in trump-friendly parts of the country.

I’ve got an exit plan. I encourage everyone else to work on one.

11 Likes

I hope for your sake your plan doesn’t involve coming to Europe. Because we won’t exactly be safe either.

13 Likes

True. Nowhere will be safe. It’s a question of degrees of safety. Wherever in the West this author who exposed TFG as a dangerous fraud goes, it will be safer for him than continuing to live in the U.S. under a MAGA regime.

On a more practical basis, Western European countries and Canada are very particular about who they’ll take in for the long-term. Unless one had the foresight to apply for EU citizenship years ago, one needs to have money or in-demand skills or talents, things get very tough. In the most ideal cases, moving abroad under these circumstances doesn’t make one an expat or immigrant but a refugee.

7 Likes

In my case, I had the foresight to choose a grandparent born in an EU country, and I have gone through the process of obtaining derivative citizenship.

3 Likes

I mean… he already has. It’s been his bread and butter for about a decade now. He was blatantly instructing his cult to attack journalists in 2015. They weren’t yet prepared to believe he was serious and he hadn’t yet replaced Jesus in their hearts, but that’s a distant memory now.

9 Likes

With so many trumpies admiring Russian society (for its murderous dictator, disney-esque subway stations, anti-LGBTQ, grocery carts, …) oh how much more happy for all if instead of ‘the rest of us’ departing the country -if-trump-, that they would emigrate to Momma Russia? if a non-Russian speaking Canadian family can do it, then surely the remains of the GOP could do so as well! (i, for one, would happily drive them to the airport)

8 Likes

I have dual-citizenship and the option to leave but I plan to stay here anyway. Like you said, the objective is to make sure it never becomes necessary.

10 Likes

Must be nice to be able to just leave whenever you feel like it. Some of us certainly would have many years ago, if we had the ability.

12 Likes

Yup. Extra challenging when there are kids involved and one parent won’t even entertain the idea that things will get that bad… Save oneself, but leave the kid(s) behind?

7 Likes

As someone who is caring for a relative with Alzheimer’s, this hits close to home. Even if there weren’t financial and job issues preventing me from leaving the USA, what am I supposed to do with him? Make him move to another country and destroy what little remaining familiarity and routine makes him comfortable? Run away in the middle of the night, leaving the burden with my sister, and never speak to my family again? Toss him in an old folks’ home to be tortured to death by incompetent, neglectful staff with zero accountability? There’s really no alternative I could live with other than staying and caring for him. If Biden wins, it might give me enough time to get through the last years of his life in relative safety and still have some hope of escape before either Nazis or our horrible, broken healthcare system can claim my own life.

13 Likes

I’d say that it’s very possible that he suffers from some sort of debilitating health event, but these evil old bastards just keep ticking along: Kissenger, McConnell, Dick Cheney, etc. TSG is truly a menace and his cult followers are dangerous nincompoops.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.