I finally found a deodorant that doesn't give me a rash (but it costs $20)

I had a lot of irritation problems with a variety of deodorants. For whatever reason, the one that works for me is Gillette clear gel deodorant. I use one that’s just a deodorant, not an antiperspirant.

this is way cheaper than that, and i too have tried all the natural ones. i thought maybe it was my imagination that it worked, but i recently ran out and used some i had left over of another brand and it was IMMEDIATELY CLEAR this stuff actually works better than the others.

1 Like

I use Purell hand sanitizer. I don’t have particularly sensitive skin so I don’t know if it would cause you trouble, but it works fine for me.

Use Hibiclens. Kills the bacteria that make the odor. Only need to wash with it every few days.

A compound of an element can have wildly different properties. For example, you wouldn’t want to eat metallic sodium. In your mouth it would make sodium hydroxide (which is pretty caustic). But make a compound with chlorine and you can get delicious table salt.

Likewise, metallic aluminum isn’t the same thing as aluminum oxide (which I assume is the form of aluminum in aluminosilicate minerals.

1 Like

If this is aluminosilicate-based and does the job, maybe some cheap purer-alum “crystal” deodorant will work as well?

Does for me, and lasts forever. You do have to add your own perfume.

I had to go through a bunch of different deodorants (antiperspirants, actually) before finding the one that doesn’t give me an itchy rash:

Degree Antiperspirant Stick, Original Protection (the ones in the green case)

For a one-time investment of $200-300 US, you can know everything there is to know about the issue and thus formulate your own solution.
Antiperspirants and Deodorants, 2nd Edition (Cosmetic Science and Technology, Vol. 20)

Provides a review of the most recent advances in the science and technology of controlling odour and wetness.

Give a man a deodorant and he is fresh for a day, teach a man the science of deodorant and he will have something to prop up the broken couch leg for life.

10 Likes

The problem with Purell is its horrible awful smell. My wife and I both react very badly to it; makes visits to doctors/hospitals/etc. very painful.

You should try Simple Soothing Antiperspirant. I always get rashes too and that one doesn’t give me one. Not much perfume so I’d say it’s unisex. And I got four for £8 on amazon.co.uk and they should have them at Boots.

I also use Arm & Hammer, it’s great. I haven’t ever noticed white chunks though.

Well, maybe I just notice it because of all those Charles Barkley Right Guard commercials in the 90s.

1 Like

I naturally smell like Ron Swanson crossed with a beaver, and people like it.

(When bathing or showering use less soap and scrape your skin. For cleaning my hair I have come to prefer ‘dry’ shampoos as well. They keep dandruff and skin irritation down)

1 Like

When I first started having the problem with antiperspirants/deodorants causing breakouts/etc. I tried this stuff just in an attempt to treat the breakout…
Amazon.com : Earth Science Problem Skin Treatment for Men, 6-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 3) (they discontinued it)
I would just use it at night, and then when I was just planning on staying at home one weekend I decided to just use it all weekend. I expected to smell, but it seemed to to a good job of keeping things under control, so I continued to use it without any odor issues and it also seemed to control wetness – seemed much more effective when one allowed one’s shirt to get wet by it (it dried quickly and never stained).
Since it had a rather strong odor (dissipated quickly) and sometimes burned a bit, I decided to make my own version…
I started with a subset of the ingredients on the bottle:

Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Salicylic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Uncaria Tomentosa (Cat’s Claw) Extract, Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract, Guaiazulene, Peg-35 Castor Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Echinacea Angustifolia Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Glycerin, Fragrance (Parfum).
Kept the alcohol-free witch hazel as the base; aloe extract; echinacea extract; willow bark extract; and added in a very wee drop of tea tree oil; lavender oil; myrtle oil (to tone down the lavender); a natural emulsifier to make everything mix together. (I had intended to add some chamomile extract, but that stuff stinks). It seemed to work well and I used that mixture for about a year. I add/subtract all the time -- my current mixture is about the same as above, except no tea tree or echinacea. I added some leucidal liquid; green tea extract; lichen extract; aspen bark extract substitute for willow; Works all day -- seems better than any stick/spray I ever tried and doesn't discolor clothes. I enjoy my mad scientist sessions of mixing -- I'm sure that I could simplify it to a few ingredients, but that would be boring. When I know that I'm going to need some extra oomph, e.g. 16 hr flight, I smear a bit of this stuff on first: Amazon.com: Alcohol Free All Natural Antibacterial Hand Sanitizing Gel With Silver Thyme And Aloe Vera 100% Non Toxic Keeps Germs Off For Hours! 2 oz I can go 24hrs with that stuff and not have any odor.
2 Likes

I had the same problem for years and gave up wearing deodorant and antiperspirant entirely. Then I tried Dove Men Care Antiperspirant for Sensitive Skin and it doesn’t have this effect at all.

I had the exact same issue. Almay Sensitive Skin solved it for me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039YQ8P0 Six pack for about 17 USD

3 Likes

La Vanila. They have a fragrance free option and run ~$15. The 2 oz. size lasts me about two months.

Edit: First-time poster to bbs. Didn’t realize the content could’ve been seen as spammy. I added the ingredients in case it was helpful to see right away whether an ingredient would be off-limits for anyone in this thread.

Been using this stuff myself for a couple years, buying my own, have nothing to do with any company. It works for me and I like to share information. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made a train wreck here!

Go ahead and check out my edits if you care.

I’ve reached out to mods to work it out. Sorry everyone.

4 Likes

I’ve been using milk of magnesia for years and it works great.

1 Like

Definitely no spam meant. Real person over here, struggling with sweat glands and happy to share info. I edited my post to remove the link and ingredient list. Thank you.

3 Likes