I found a locked safe hidden at the back of a closet in my new house

I seldom do. But I treat the things as a snack, mostly eat them around midnight.

1 Like

They’re made of plastic – just a tag-out lock. They’ve got a great core, though. Better than just about any other Master lock.

1 Like

Kind of disappointing its plastic but considering these are for tag-outs i suppose that makes sense. What do you use yours for?

I just try to pick it. I have two, keyed alike, and one I can pick after some groping around, and the other one has so far defeated me. It doesn’t make much sense.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yikes!

2 Likes

Fun fact: an anagram of “yikes” is “key is”! The key is what, I wonder.

(just trying to bring this back around to safes for old time’s sake.)

4 Likes

I was going to say that most sake isn’t aged beyond six months, and is drunk within a year :wink: …but today I learned that a small percentage of sake on the market is aged, some of it for a number of years. Apparently some of it may taste similar to sherry, or bourbon, or whiskey.

Therefore I think it’s safe to say: while one may have some understanding of a subject, never assume you have a lock on it.

(And seriously, don’t humans age—or attempt to age, or age by accident—pretty much all foods? I should have known there would be aged sake! I suppose I vaguely guessed there would be, or I wouldn’t have gone looking it up.)

2 Likes

Wonderful things like beer and cheese would probably not exist if not for some neolithic happy accident. Hurrah for absentmindedness.

3 Likes

And for having enough to eat that some can be set aside for later…in a safe place, of course.

1 Like

The other day I learned that oaks have a three-year cycle for acorn production: two lean years followed by a boom year. The two lean years keep the nut forager population in check; the boom year causes squirrels to go nuts (ha) with hoarding, collecting and hiding so many nuts that they forget about a large number of them. If the oaks always had lean years this distribution wouldn’t happen; if they were always heavy producers the forager population would boom and all the nuts would get eaten too.

7 Likes

The squirrels are probably hoping for some nice fermented acorns…imagine their surprise to find that they’ve got a bunch of little trees instead.

2 Likes

And of course its always some sloppy guy that’s gunna look at some old food they left out and thinks… maybe it’ll taste ok. And eats it despite it looking way past fresh.

I’m not saying this out of experience… not at all…

1 Like

Wow, I just discovered this thread. So what did he find in the safe? /s

2 Likes

Ramen. Oodles of ramen.

1 Like

Random squirrel facts.

3 Likes

A dank carpet of oak seedlings.

3 Likes

How long did it take you to read through? (Or did you?)

2 Likes

Yes, tell, tell! I’ve always wanted to evaluate this Discourse feature:

8 Likes

I didn’t. I was joking. I’ve been aware that this thread is still active, just never participated.

3 Likes