‘I’m not going to be ruled by commonsense precautions’ — comedian Brent Terhune spoofs MAGA 'rona ralliers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/20/im-not-going-to-be-ruled.html

4 Likes

Funny, but like The Onion this guy is already being out-paced by reality.

34 Likes

My thoughts exactly. His impression is spot-on, but he has the inherent disadvantage of trying to spoof a group of people who are far more ridiculous in belief and action than anyone could hope to express through parody. Like the protester quoted in that adjacent thread who says the thing he misses most is unlimited refills. How the hell is a satirist supposed to top that?

37 Likes

That Three Pence Loon t-shirt is a good start, mind.

9 Likes

Yep. I shared the video with family and friends fully expecting them to not realize it’s a comedian doing a bit, and not one of the wingnuts that are gadding about town today.

7 Likes

Yeah, my first reaction was: if this wasn’t being presented here as comedy, I’d have no way of knowing. Although actually there is kind of a tell - he sounds a lot more rational than the people he’s “parodying.”

Is there a name for that - when you “parody” something but end up being more reasonable and less absurd than the thing you’re trying to parody?

15 Likes

Poe’s Law, perhaps?

6 Likes

Satire.  

6 Likes

Yeah, I always thought T****ism was so extreme, absurd and grotesque as to be beyond parody.

And then I saw this…

3 Likes

That’s when it’s indistinguishable.

Ha, in a sense…

3 Likes

The first one was almost indistinguishable from 1/2 of the wingnuts out there on fox etc… Started to get into the Reuben Bolling “it’s no longer funny when it’s true” zone.

The second, while funny, was laying it on a bit heavy.

2 Likes

This is less satire and more impression.

6 Likes

Humor inspired by stupid people isn’t all that funny anymore.

10 Likes

Absolutely outpaced by reality. Remember the GOD WARRRRRRIOR woman from a ways back? She makes the guy in the OP seem chill

Don’t know how I had missed that gem! Thanks for sharing that, I really needed the laugh today. :joy: ← me laugh/ crying

1 Like

Sadly, satire is officially dead, I’m laying a wreath on its grave at the weekend.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.