"I was prescribed Trump’s steroid. It made me feel invincible"

Yeah, it’s all just sooo fucking hilarious…

13 Likes

That image was from his time “working” at Walter Reed. He looked a lot paler than usual because he didn’t have his normal base-coat of bright orange, but I still think it was actually an improvement over his normal look because it made him look more human (albeit “sickly, evil human”).

9 Likes

It just occured to me that he lacks all the qualities of Dorothy’s companions in “The Wizard of Oz.

I had another thought but sorry, that one overtook it.

14 Likes

Not “Ha Ha” funny, though, is it?

11 Likes

Absurdist nihilism kind of funny? I’m struggling to find the humor atm.

11 Likes

This. For a lot of people it’s a vacation from pain, but reentry is not always fun. Long term use can lead to increased susceptibility to various infections. Longer term use also leads to osteoporosis.

8 Likes

Yeah, somehow over 200K dead (and counting) due to avoidable willful negligence and outright stupidity just isn’t all that amusing to me. Go figure…

11 Likes

Ok, but how long do the effects last after you stop taking it?

1 Like

Good thing Donald is the living embodiment of restraint and the sublime.

1 Like

I’ve had roid rage, from hemorrhoids…I never felt invincible or even vincible. I did hate to sit down though.

4 Likes

I was on a tapering dose of pred after a fun topical allergic reaction, and no energy boost, no rage, only the incessant need to drink tons of water and pee like a racehorse…

I guess I missed all the fun stuff.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Nothing about Trump is normal, but the normal recommendation, and what was studied in the research that led to its recommendation was up to 10 days or until discharge from the hospital. Of course Trump being discharged to the whitehouse has 24-7 medical staff so he can continue treatment at “home” when most people would not be able to.

8 Likes

Trump is starting to remind of the current simon.hanselmann cartoon on IG.

3 Likes

The kind of mania described in the article sounds similar to what first time users of methamphetamine experience. Are the drugs related? I note the meth hiding in the middle of the name for that steroid. Hopefully it’s less addictive or at least less poisonous.

No. They’re not even remotely related.

But in a sort of cascading way some steroids can activate some of the same receptors that traditional stimulants directly bind to and agonize.

Steroids definitely can increase the synaptic dopanime levels.

And the potential for addiction is different. Dopaminergic stimulants are addictive because pretty much immediately after you administer them they trigger the reward circuits in your brain. Self dosing really quickly becomes compulsive.

Steroids don’t work that directly and tend towards enforcing novelty seeking behavior rather than compulsive self-dosing.

13 Likes

As someone who used to do their best to read the grocery store ultraman books to their child at night, this comment tickles me more than it should. It does sound exactly like something ultraman would fight (and something I’d have stumbled over while trying to suss out how to explain it to a three year old).

3 Likes

Steroids tend to cause the adrenal glands to shut down. When going off it, if you don’t taper the drug slowly, you can get what’s called an Addisonian crisis due to secondary adrenal insufficiency. I have had this happen (to some degree) on a number of occasions. The feeling is dreadful.

16 Likes

The last time I took prednisone I just gained 10 lbs and still felt like shit.

7 Likes

Don’t know about him, but I know recently they have started to titrate heart transplant patients off in <6mo where it is possible, because long-term corticosteroids greatly increase morbidity. Not to mention the side effects SUCK.

3 Likes