I was seriously attracted to the human female host of this creepy children's TV show

Well I feel all grown up now…

1 Like

KICKSTARTER!

Do it with virtual sets to cut down costs.

5 Likes

I only remember Reddy as a logo, but I grew up in Kansas.

We had two or three different shows.

Freddy Fudd (supposedly Elmer’s cousin) would air after school and show Merrie Melodies and similar cartoons. In December, the host, Henry Harvey, would pull double-duty as Santa Claus with his helper KAKEman, counting down the days to Christmas and pushing toys for local retailers.

We also had a Sunday morning show, Uncle Bill Reads the Funnies (Rev. Bill Boyle) with his sidekicks Woody and Zippy. It also featured Doodle Time, where Bill would create a moral lesson story from random marks on a page…think Horatio Sanz’ children’s artist character, but completely without any sexual innuendo.

1 Like

Oh man, I was age 4, way before I (consciously) knew anything about sex or lust or whatever.

5 Likes

I liked the big, comfy clown who hosted The Big, Comfy Couch. Especially when she demonstrated her limberness by using her arms and legs as hands on a clock. This show first aired when I was 20.

7 Likes

OH!

Carrying over from the TV antenna thread, I just remembered "The Choo-Choo Bob Show:"

It is run on the QUBO network, and is actually kind of witty. Just a bunch of folks hanging around a train depot set, talking about trains. Made just a few years ago, but a faithful recreation of hosted kiddie shows.

AND THEN THERE IS . . . UNCLE FLOYD.

This started as a “straight” kiddie show on a New Jersey UHF station. Host Floyd Vivino is a sort of vaudeville carnie guy, a throwback to an earlier time but genuinely talented. It quickly turned into a gonzo satire, with Floyd’s blue-collar buddies putting on skits full of double entendres, like “Don Ho Hum” singing a song titled “Oh Give Me a Lei.”

There was one brilliant bit called “A Day in the Life of a Food,” where one of the players would make a sandwich, or whatever, while the other players would voice the ingredients as they were spread or chopped. It always cumulated in the character eating the dish while the rest of the cast screamed in agony.

2 Likes

Actually; they were married shortly before the series started filming.

My! You WERE ambitious.

1 Like

pbs. As in… pubes?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any other 70s DC-area kids here? Do you remember Captain 20 or Count Gore De Vol?

2 Likes

(Speaking of Sears, why don’t the other shareholders or board members just fire Lampert?)

Dusty’s Treehouse? Serendipity? That’s Cat? (Thinking of shows in LA, because that’s where I watched this)[quote=“MJones524, post:68, topic:97565”]
The show that creeped me out was “Villa Alegre.”
[/quote]

Man, I always dug that one… Carrascolendas, on the other hand…

That was the greatest kid’s show ever made. I watched it when Bob MacAlester (sp?) was the host, when I lived in LA and NY (both had Metromedia stations, which I believe eventually morphed into Fox…)
Ellen actually reminds me a little bit of Wonderama.

I was wondering if anyone else knew that one! Didn’t know it originated in MD, though.

1 Like

For 10 year old me, it was 1999’s Catherine Schell:

And Zienia Merton:

8 Likes

NY’s CBS station ran, on Sunday mornings as I recall, an educational show called “What’s Around the Corner?”

The title sequence featured a really simple cartoon and a theme song haunting the edges of my memory. (“What’s around the corner? Maybe a mule nibbling cactus.”)

Very plain set; the female host and few kids explored science and nature stuff. After 50 or so years I remember one of the kids asking the host “what’s a slide rule?” and her responding “I’m not sure, we’ll have to look into that!”

2 Likes

Oh my gosh I had completely forgotten about this show, but I remember it after seeing the video!

1 Like

So was I.

Yes! Captain 20!

7 Likes

While we’re all confessin’ … no one seems to have mentioned Erin Gray in Buck Rogers? Or am I simply carbon dating myself?

18 Likes

22 Likes