ICE and Florida Sheriff try their hardest to deport man born in Philadelphia

If you can do whatever you want and never be punished, how are you being held to any standards?

6 Likes

Matthew Albence, a top ICE official, said in a statement to the Times “agents arrest only those they have probable cause to suspect are eligible for deportation.”
Even if it wasn’t the case that the “probable cause” is always brown skin, probable cause of eligibility has to be the lowest standard for arrest ever in a democracy. It is past time to disband ICE

10 Likes

Florida is beautiful, and once ICE finishes deporting all the Floridians we won’t have to worry about Florida man messing things up. /s

2 Likes

Weird story. Stranger yet that the Immigration and Naturalization Service, also mistakenly tried to deport him 20 years ago.

Monroe County is usually better than this.

1 Like

Holy crap. Talk about terrible recordkeeping on the part of both services, then. I’m guessing whatever it was that triggered the pick-up 20 years ago again triggered the pick-up.

Great to see so much progress has been put into due process and the rights of the accused down there. :frowning:

9 Likes

It would be nice to see some actual verifiable citation of that claim, frankly.

ETA:

All I can find is an article from the Miami Times News that’s just as vague as the original comment.

6 Likes

Oh, it’s in the lawsuit. Page 9, Paragraph 37. Terrible to see that this happened twice to this poor gentleman. :frowning:

6 Likes

All of the news sources are running with “X says Y happened to him” type stories, but a couple of them mentioned the 20 year old deportation attempt.
I have to assume that there is more to the story. Not anything that would excuse what has happened, but perhaps might explain it. Maybe identity theft.
But whatever the reason, I can think of no circumstances where a US citizen could end up in the Krome detention center without someone screwing up badly.

I can’t with this nonsense; seriously.

13 Likes

As we’ve seen from multiple instances of folks on no-fly lists finding it near-impossible to get off, I think the answer is something to the effect of: “20 years ago, he was put on a list, wrongly. That list is still wrong today”.

12 Likes

I don’t. The government is quite capable of fucking up American citizens lives all by its self without outside help.

10 Likes

Especially if one lacks the ‘complexion’ for the protection.

8 Likes

The INS was notorious among all federal agencies for its poor record-keeping. Trying to get citizenship or permanent residency was a constant adventure in lost paperwork and clerical errors and offices that made the DMVs of the time look like an investment bank’s client suite.

I have no doubt its successor agency is much different. We may be an immigrant nation, but you wouldn’t know it from the twisted and pitfall-laden path to citizenship currently offered (especially if you don’t have an expensive immigration lawyer). Under the best of administrations there’s no willingness to improve things, and we’re living under far from the best.

Florida sheriffs’ departments are a whole separate mess when it comes to dealing with PoC, of course. Combine their institutional racism with ICE, the most loyal federal law enforcement agency to this xenophobic regime, and this is exactly what you’d expect.

This is why slimy implications that there is “more to the story” or that Brown might have been at fault in any way are bogus assumptions. The system is broken by design, especially if one’s skin is dark – not because government doesn’t work but because conservative bigots don’t want it to.

9 Likes

Johnny Dangerously was prescient.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Those fargin corksuckers and iceholes!

5 Likes

Makes me wonder how far it would go before the state department of either country would step in, if it even would? I can think of many places I would rather be right now rather than in the United States. Now, if only I could get “deported” to one of them. I am guessing that would absolve me of expat taxes?

1 Like

Sometimes I wish the Obama administration had prosecuted the torturers from the Bush administration. It just might have had an affect on ICE’s and other personnel’s willingness to break the law.

4 Likes

Non black person deported by ICE. Just an example, need more? Use the googles.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/25/us/us-veteran-deported-to-mexico/index.html

1 Like