Idaho moves to make gender-affirming care for teens a felony and restricts people from leaving the state

I just read the bill, hoping that somehow it wasn’t as bad as it sounds, but it’s exactly that bad, even including the use of temporary puberty blocking drugs.

There were some edits and amendments that made it look like it started out strictly as a bill outlawing female genital mutilation (aka female “circumcision”) but got re-purposed somewhere along the way.

16 Likes

31 Likes

Just spitballing here, but it would be pretty good if we could sanction these states that are heading down the path of destruction in the way the world is doing to Russia. :man_shrugging:

20 Likes

The more I see of this kind of thing, and of all the attempts to end abortion, the more it makes me realize that the alt-right only sees you as a collection of organs that supports a reproductive system, that they see no inherent worth in humans at all except as a way to make more humans. If they had their way, we’d be living in a worldwide Kowloon, stacked on each other like cordwood so we could make billions more humans. It’s a cult-like worship of population growth.

10 Likes

Idaho is a festering, running bedsore on the ass of the Northwest.

7 Likes

I suspect that they are in favor of FGM, as they probably agree it can be used to control women.

13 Likes

Plus, you know, it’s an election year and a lot of these tools are vying for national office. What’s really disgusting is that this will improve their chances.

5 Likes

What we need is a SC that will cut down these laws as unconstitutional.

15 Likes

I would only add that they want themselves in charge, and they want only certain people to contribute to that population growth.

7 Likes

It’s because it’s a cult of human sacrifice.

9 Likes

Of course the Fugitive Slave Act was a Federal law, because even the slavers realized they didn’t have the authority to enforce their own laws across state lines.

17 Likes

Shades of the Berlin Wall. Republicans are all for freedom–the freedom to persecute other people who want freedom.

3 Likes

True, but you know…in the interim.

8 Likes

So, if someone from Oregon drives into Idaho and enjoys their recreational marijuana, then gets arrested by Idaho cops, can Oregon sue Idaho for wrongful imprisonment?
I know, I know, this particular law is all about in groups and controlling “others,” but how would this kind of thing even work as a general approach?
The Balkanization of the US is well underway. :frowning:

16 Likes

Yeah… I know… :pensive: Honestly, though, I’m not sure that this tit-for-tat response will be helpful.

3 Likes

A lot of these same Idaho dicks drive into Washington and Oregon to enjoy the recreational weed, then turn around and pull this nonsense. We’re talking state legislators who keep voting down the same freedom for their own state, and vote to restrict freedom for anyone who doesn’t look or act like them.

14 Likes

Whether there is a “tit” or not…“tat” will still continue. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Agreed, which is why there does need to be a strategy to deal with them. Consequences for Jan. 6th will help, so will the SCOTUS being packed, and the Democrats making inroads into red states (which demands voting rights legislation)… I don’t know if “culture wars” retaliation is particularly helpful (the CA law about the 2nd amendment, for example), personally. I’m also not sure how sanctions would work, especially since I bet a high amount of interstate trade (that isn’t agriculture) is city to city, which probably tend to be blue…

Tired Bette Davis GIF by Maudit

12 Likes

Sucks Aaron Eckhart GIF

14 Likes

reggie watts yes GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

11 Likes