Identical twins say the same thing at the same time

They are going to have to find two other identical twins to marry.

Reminds me a bit of the obsessive memory-retention lady who was briefly famous and widely misunderstood. I suspect there’s more than the surface “we’re twins” going on with these two.

Anyway, you do you, lady.

1 Like

My wife claims that when my brother and I get together we unconsciously revert to a mumbly twinspeak she can’t follow, but I don’t realize when I’m doing it. I guess it’s kind of like speaking Parseltongue.

4 Likes

I kinda feel like they’ve honed their “identical twin” act of finishing each others’ sentences for many years. Note how they watch each other talking and jump in at the end to guess the last few words to give the impression of sharing a thought.

5 Likes

This is just so sad.

Children deserve to grow up as themselves, not some sort of half-humans who are more about being “the twins” than about being Bridgette and Paula. Yet so many parents of twins do the “twin thing” to the exclusion (or extinction) of their children’s personal development.

And before anyone chimes in with the predictable comeback: Yes, as a matter of fact I do have twins. Monozygotic, adults, and in so many delightful ways very different from each other.

3 Likes

My partner and I often do the same. However, we’re a long way from twins being as we were born more than three years apart in different parts of the country and not even meeting for more than 40 years. “One brain!” we’ll say.

2 Likes

Sorry to keep being that guy, but the last time I took ketamine the bunch of people I was with would keep starting conversation with creepily similar thoughts to the rest of the group.

I guess the likely topics of conversation are reduced when your mind is so drastically impaired by something like ketamine but for about 30 minutes it seemed like we were very dialled in to each other’s trains of thought.

I reckon there is some function of mirror neurons at play in such situations, whether the behaviour is amplified by similar genetics or environmental factors, if you and the other have been consciously (or subconsciously) engaging in that kind of emulation, the fidelity of entrainment becomes stronger the more it happens.

1 Like

Not if they consider themselves to be the same person.

It seems like a really good SNL skit. Or a really bad one. It’s hard to tell these days.

2 Likes

Slate did a series on twins a while ago. I’m reminded of two sisters they reported on. Their parents always had them do everything together. When they started school and were assigned different classes, one teacher asked if they had the right sister (“are you ‘Jane’ or ‘Judy’?”).

The girl burst into tears. She had never learned which name applied to her.

4 Likes

If they think of themselves as one person they’d probably be happier married to a single man rather than a pair of men who don’t view themselves similarly.

Those interested in twins may enjoy the documentary Twinsters on Netflix. It’s about a California actress of Korean descent who discovers she has an identical twin sister living in Paris. Luckily, she decides to film her entire journey of discovery from the first point of contact.

2 Likes

At 42, the sisters are small and pretty with tousled blonde hair, radiant smiles and, they insist, “not even one” distinguishing feature. Both vegetarians, they’ve spent almost every moment of their lives together. They dress the same, still sleep in twin beds in the same room, and have “never, ever” had boyfriends.

:no_mouth:

1 Like

I agree. I also got the feeling that the twin on the right side (viewer’s right) was slightly more dominant, with her sister looking at her more often for cues. Although I didn’t do a strict count. Just an impression.

I was also surprised how different they look really. Their eyes are quite different.

1 Like

My wife and I - together 18 years now - say the same thing at the same time often enough that it hardly even surprises our kids any more. It’s not for show; we often both break up laughing when we realize we’ve done it again.

There might be a little bit of telepathy involved, but I think it’s even more so that when it comes to certain areas - especially child-rearing - we reason from the same set of principles in the same way and come up with the same answer at the same time. (I don’t disclaim a little bit of telepathy though. My wife sometimes has to jokingly tell me,“Shut up! You’re thinking too loud!”)

According to the video they’ve resisted any efforts to separate them. It is pretty odd, but they don’t seem unhappy.

I don’t think I want to see the end of this movie.

6 Likes

Yeah I believe it, it’s just the way one of them will be talking, and the other will cut in… and you can hear that there is some difference in what they’re saying that they then correct to make it sound the same. I’m not saying no one ever does it, i’m just going off of what I heard in this specific video lol

1 Like

True, but remember that year when we both inexplicably sent each other the same birthday card with this picture of a freaky bird on it?

That was a little weird.

4 Likes

I was just about to say the same thing.

4 Likes

As adults that’s not surprising. As toddlers, when their parents made more of their “twinness” than of their uniqueness?