Idiots and their kids almost become dinner on a wild animal preserve

It’s Holland: many of them (modestly) speak perfect English. Which I imagine conveys some excellent versatility of expression in moments such as this.

9 Likes

Just the circle of life, folks.

13 Likes

I was really hoping that they’d be staring and pointing at the cheetahs, and not notice a leopard in the tree above them…

5 Likes

As one other pointed out, had the universe let this stupidity play out in a natural order sort of way, they would have most likely have to destroy the animals.
It’s people like this that have me convinced we are doomed as a species.

The adults wouldn’t have been in any danger, but bringing out that child was idiotic. Cheetahs are opportunists and essentially cowards. They don’t take prey larger than themselves the way a lion or leopard would. That said, I’ve seen even a baby cheetah in the 20 pound range size up a 40 pound kid as a nice lunch (guessing at the weights, since I don’t know kids).

8 Likes

I can’t believe how utterly stupid and senseless these people are. Too bad the cheetahs didn’t get one of them, but then the cheetahs would probably be put down because of their careless and stupid actions. For the sake of all other species humans need to simply go away.

2 Likes

Cheetahs are only doing what nature gives them to be able to survive. Humans are the real cowards.

Of course, because essentially humans are cowards. He should have stood and fought off those beasts, and I’m not being snarky. If you’re gonna be that stupid you had better be prepared to go all out Daniel Boone. You know he killed a bear with his bare hands when he was only three. Okay, that part was snarky.

2 Likes

I turned it off at 2 minutes because I was like- “That was so effin stupid!” But then went back and watched the last 45 seconds. OMG what utter morons!
We have a wildlife park near us (no Predators, but Camels and Bison, both of which would kill a person easily) and if you get out of your car a park employee rolls up about 30 seconds later and tells you to leave the park (Watched it happen to the car infront of us).

1 Like

i was wondering why they would switch to english just for that – is there no dutch equivalent that has that same sort of emotional weight?

1 Like

Meanwhile, 3 people have been killed in India during separate incidences trying to take selfies with wild animals since December.

2 Likes

Nah that was Davy Crockett, :musical_note: King of the Wild Frontier :musical_note:

6 Likes

The cheetahs’ publicist is due for a raise for getting his clients billed as “apex predators” in a major media source (yes, you, boingboing). Just hope it doesn’t get back to the lions or leopards.

4 Likes

You know, some of us have been waiting a lifetime for a sequel to “Faces Of Death.”

I mean, one without any faked footage.

Hopefully the abundance of smartphone-cameras will remedy that situation.

1 Like
1 Like

The cheetahs aren’t in their natural habitat, it’s an artificial safari park, with a regular routine of vehicles cruising through, some of which obligingly seem to contain lunch. I remember reading a statement from a game warden in Africa that he’d never heard of an unprovoked attack by a cheetah on a human being in the wild, they avoid people generally. Letting a small animal loose in front of a predator is awfully stupid and terribly provoking, but they were lucky the cats were cheetahs, they are extremely cautious, and just about any other big cat would not have hesitated.

6 Likes
1 Like

Always an upside :grin:

Are there any other native English speakers who feel a bit of pride at “what the fuck” going to the world tongue ?

13 Likes

A buddy of mine who was a ranger at Yosemite for a while says that on more than one occasion, he’s had to stop tourists from placing their infant child on top of a sleeping bear for a cute “baby on bearskin” photo.

There’s nothing quite like a public-facing job dealing with tourists to make one painfully aware of just how cluelessly stupid some people are.

10 Likes