Idiots and their kids almost become dinner on a wild animal preserve

Dammit @teknocholer!!

Eh, you’re right, it was a lovely reply. I liked it too.

5 Likes

3 Likes

I’d say that putting children in harms way is easily a line we can probably all agree on.

3 Likes

That book was fascinating. Hard to tell which Yellowstone death sticks with me most. I’m told that the fisherman who died on his wedding anniversary lived near where I live now.

The story of the Philadelphia boys who died on a hiking trip in the Canadian Rockies has that same gruesome can’t stop reading quality. Also there is a Death in Yosemite book inspired by Yellowstone.

It is rather baffling that people don’t realize that national parks aren’t theme rides at amusement parks.

3 Likes

At the top of the falls in Yosemite there are signs the saying “do not go over this fence, you will be swept to your death”, and graphics showing it for the non English speaking. Yet there are casualties on a regular basis. Some people simply do not understand that the real world can kill them.

1 Like

hence the existence of these books

3 Likes

I have French friends that say it as a reaction to something incredible or unbelievable and it cracks me up every time!

2 Likes

I think (but can’t know, since I’ve never been in that situation before), I would start honking and not stop. Maybe it would scare the cheetah away, hopefully, but it would catch the attention of the stupid adults, making them look towards the cheetah.
Then again, I’d probably have started honking as soon as the fucking idiots got out of the car the first time. I also would have the phone number for park security on hand.
Not just for the sake of the kids, but also for the cheetah. If it injured or killed a human, the park would have to kill it. I mean, fuck the adults. But for the sake of the kids and cheetah, do something.

Oh, I would also try to get their name and where they live and report them to the police for endangering a child. Those people need some parenting classes STAT.

That should be “Never mess with them. EVER.”

5 Likes

This was not even close to this situation except it involved wild animals and car horns.

I used to work at a place - how many of my crazy anecdotes start with that phrase?

I used to volunteer at a rural horse sanctuary outside of the city, screening horse poop for worm eggs . One night after full dark, I was following one of the Social Work interns (Equine Therapy) through the main gate. Less than a mile down the gravel road was a family of Mule Deer standing in the deep, broad ditch. They froze in her headlights, and the social worker didn’t continue on, dim her lights to ‘parking’, or honk the horn. After a long pause, I assumed she didn’t know how to ‘break the spell’. When deer freeze in your headlights, it’s close to a seizure because the unnatural amount of light overwhelms their giant visual cortices. So I started honking and flicking my lights on and off, the spell was broken, and they turned and ran back into the cow pasture.

The next day, the Social Work Intern scolded me, because she had been looking at them.

5 Likes

At least she didn’t get out to take a selfie.

2 Likes

“have to have a sense of” = not idiot proof.

Agreed; I would not have been able to watch such stupidity in person without yelling/honking at that family like a madwoman.

5 Likes

“partially”

There is one for the Grand Canyon as well; I picked up a copy of it a number of years ago. Interesting, if a bit morbid, read.

2 Likes

Oooooh! I’m on it! Thanks for the tip!

Somewhere in this mess is a book about the John Wesley Powell expedition I plan to read.

“So…you think you’re tough. Well, he did ALL THAT with one hand tied behind his back. So to speak…”

3 Likes

For real yo

1 Like

Is Timothy Treadwell the one that got eaten by one of his ‘pet’ Grizzlies?

1 Like

I believe the plan is for there to be one for most of the western US parks that have a tendency to kill less wise guests.

1 Like

Here’s an amazon link for that book:

2 Likes