If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

I always admired Troi’s part in the show.

2 Likes

Eh. More like the bar in a classic-TV Western, given DS9’s status as “Gunsmoke in the stars” to TOS’s “Wagon Train to the stars.” For that matter, there were plenty of exotic-creature-filled bars in real SF and fantasy years before Star Wars, which never deserves credit as the original source for any idea ever.

1 Like

One thing I find interesting is that Denise Crosby left the show partly because she felt like “stage dressing”. It’s hard to know her perspective, but I always thought of her as a strong female leader and chief of security. Either way, it’s a shame she left the show. She played a great character.

external-content.duckduckgo .

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this interesting article - it expanded my limited depilatory knowledge! I know it’s a light internet article not a doctoral thesis but I found it straying into the fallacy of thinking that things are better or different now (for example saying women have only now gotten a choice about grooming, while seemingly overlooking all the women who didn’t conform at the time to the various historical beauty standards described). What did you think?

And as for Stone Age people shaving their beards so they couldn’t be grabbed in a fight… :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

My issue was that she never changed her clothes during a season. She wore that lavender onesie EVERY DAY that year! If it’s a uniform, you can get away with that: it’s supposed to look the same from day to day.

But if you’re a military officer who is given permission to wear civvies because it makes your job as a counselor easier, then wearing the same outfit every day makes it look like you only have one. Or worse, that you have some weird hangup or lax hygiene.

TROI: Lt. Barclay, let’s talk about your feelings of attachment to these holodeck characters. They’re not real. They’re just objects. Once you understand that, you won’t be so dependent on them.

BARCLAY: Objects, hmm. Sort of like that blue scoop-neck dress with the dyed-to-match heels you’ve been wearing every day for the last six months?

TROI: Get the fuck out of my office, Reg.

5 Likes

I made this. I posted it in a private Star Trek group to begin with. Someone reposted it on their own page and it snowballed from there.

53 Likes

Good work :+1:

21 Likes

@beschizza, attribution?

Awesome work, thanks! I’m glad it made it’s way to our distant shores!

bravo-picard

Also… welcome to boing boing!!!

28 Likes

Keep in mind he has seen everything. He has seen it all.

5 Likes

Welcome, and kudos! :smiley:

PS: You should totes get some hair on those chests! Seriously, Bev could rock a rug! :wink:

8 Likes

Not to mention “black rubber onesie that recycles moisture from poo.”

8cb625ea14a4681da726c71deeeb1fad--dune-film-dune-movie

23 Likes

It’s true there’s a Western and majority culture bias in the article. I’m glad that the author mentioned how tech is being used to promote and celebrate different choices, though. Anything that pushes back against negativity from the fashion industry is a bonus in my book.

As for the folks who wanted to avoid being grabbed in a fight, it seems like some NFL players didn’t get that memo. I cringe when watching footage of hair tackles - even though there is no penalty for it. I’m not sure about the rules in other sports, though.

2 Likes

I heard once that boxers have to agree if their opponent can have a beard - just in case it offers some protection.

I have absolutely no idea of this is true. But I like to believe it is.

1 Like

Wait a minute…

9 Likes

arg. the cognitive dissonance i had when reading your post leads me to wonder… is “michael burnham” a portmanteau of producers michael piller and rick berman?

And Dwarven women have beards.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah, but we never actually got to see Dwarven women on film. And people STILL made a big deal about the beards.

I want to see:

1. A Star Trek planet where women are conventionally attractive by modern human standards of beauty with the one exception of having prominent facial hair
  2. Nobody calls attention to this during the course of the episode
  3. Riker (or whoever) must make out with at least one mustachioed alien babe during the course of the episode

NOTE: I will settle for a “Mirror Universe” episode.

11 Likes

2hj0qf

15 Likes

0fa0c01b102a75ab802ebad1bcd17cc6

16 Likes