If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

No, actually I’ve never watched STTNG - not even once.

tng-picard-merde

22 Likes

OK I haven’t really been tempted to check out Legion before now but mustachioed robots have me intrigued.

CowboyAndriod

8 Likes

You can stare at your TV all you want, but if it is your co-worker, or even someone at the bar, it isn’t a good thing…

Thank you! It really is cloying to have all of the issues that impact women both in representation among fictional characters and as actors, creators, writers etc boiled down endlessly to what clothes they wear.

12 Likes

http://web.archive.org/web/20121113174100/http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/interviews/sirtis/page26.shtml

I was thrilled when I got my regulation Star Fleet uniform, or the regulation space suit, as we call it. First of all, it covered up my cleavage and, consequently, I got all my brains back, because when you have a cleavage you can’t have brains in Hollywood. So I got all my brains back and I was allowed to do things that I hadn’t been allowed to do for five or six years. I went on away teams, I was in charge of staff, I had my pips back, I had phasers, I had all the equipment again, and it was fabulous. I was absolutely thrilled.

– Marina Sirtis

18 Likes

Or how masculine they are, as if being feminine is a “bad thing” or something.

Not Star Trek related, but I like what Brit Marling had to say about women characters and writing them…

It doesn’t always need to be “man light” to make it feminist… how about realistic, complex, complicated, fully human? Star Trek had real problems at times, but I think they got better and better about having writers who reflect relatable people (no matter their planet of origin) rather than just fully formed white men with half formed everyone else. Discovery has some excellently written characters, for example!

15 Likes

The rear zip looked kind of rough.

2 Likes

I always admired Troi’s part in the show.

2 Likes

Eh. More like the bar in a classic-TV Western, given DS9’s status as “Gunsmoke in the stars” to TOS’s “Wagon Train to the stars.” For that matter, there were plenty of exotic-creature-filled bars in real SF and fantasy years before Star Wars, which never deserves credit as the original source for any idea ever.

1 Like

One thing I find interesting is that Denise Crosby left the show partly because she felt like “stage dressing”. It’s hard to know her perspective, but I always thought of her as a strong female leader and chief of security. Either way, it’s a shame she left the show. She played a great character.

external-content.duckduckgo .

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this interesting article - it expanded my limited depilatory knowledge! I know it’s a light internet article not a doctoral thesis but I found it straying into the fallacy of thinking that things are better or different now (for example saying women have only now gotten a choice about grooming, while seemingly overlooking all the women who didn’t conform at the time to the various historical beauty standards described). What did you think?

And as for Stone Age people shaving their beards so they couldn’t be grabbed in a fight… :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

My issue was that she never changed her clothes during a season. She wore that lavender onesie EVERY DAY that year! If it’s a uniform, you can get away with that: it’s supposed to look the same from day to day.

But if you’re a military officer who is given permission to wear civvies because it makes your job as a counselor easier, then wearing the same outfit every day makes it look like you only have one. Or worse, that you have some weird hangup or lax hygiene.

TROI: Lt. Barclay, let’s talk about your feelings of attachment to these holodeck characters. They’re not real. They’re just objects. Once you understand that, you won’t be so dependent on them.

BARCLAY: Objects, hmm. Sort of like that blue scoop-neck dress with the dyed-to-match heels you’ve been wearing every day for the last six months?

TROI: Get the fuck out of my office, Reg.

5 Likes

I made this. I posted it in a private Star Trek group to begin with. Someone reposted it on their own page and it snowballed from there.

53 Likes

Good work :+1:

21 Likes

@beschizza, attribution?

Awesome work, thanks! I’m glad it made it’s way to our distant shores!

bravo-picard

Also… welcome to boing boing!!!

28 Likes

Keep in mind he has seen everything. He has seen it all.

5 Likes

Welcome, and kudos! :smiley:

PS: You should totes get some hair on those chests! Seriously, Bev could rock a rug! :wink:

8 Likes

Not to mention “black rubber onesie that recycles moisture from poo.”

8cb625ea14a4681da726c71deeeb1fad--dune-film-dune-movie

23 Likes

It’s true there’s a Western and majority culture bias in the article. I’m glad that the author mentioned how tech is being used to promote and celebrate different choices, though. Anything that pushes back against negativity from the fashion industry is a bonus in my book.

As for the folks who wanted to avoid being grabbed in a fight, it seems like some NFL players didn’t get that memo. I cringe when watching footage of hair tackles - even though there is no penalty for it. I’m not sure about the rules in other sports, though.

2 Likes