If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

She really is great in the role. I loved Troi, despite the very real limited way in which she was written early on. I wonder if she fought to have better storylines… I hope so.

5 Likes

one of the things i disliked about star trek was how rarely people were allowed to have emotions that lasted longer than an episode. ( picard with his flute, and his capture by the borg being notable exceptions ) – ro laren broke right through all that, and it was great.

( ds9 managed it. but people thought the take away was “war stories are great” – hence discovery. but it misses the point. i can’t even tell you the names of most of the bridge crew, and i greatly miss the… discovery… of things. )

7 Likes

Yah, Berman being the absolute worst seems to be the most plausible reason for most issues I have found in 90s Trek. Im glad Ira was able to make such a great tale in DS9 under Bermans control.

2 Likes

For me it was Gul Dukat, the coolest cat in the universe. I would’ve loved a spinoff with him and Quark wandering the sector, just swapping war stories.

5 Likes

Majel Barrett’s role certainly got more complex over the run of the show considering her early introduction as Lwaxana Troi: Embarrassing Mom/Space Cougar.

I do admit harboring a secret hope that my spouse’s sex drive will triple when she hits menopause though.

6 Likes

gul-dukat-heart-big

I mean, if you love racist bigots with a Messiah complex… sure, he’s awesome…

Not that he wasn’t a well-writtten and intriguing character… but god damn, he was fucked in the head, thinking he was the savior of bajor. Like, literally. My hats off to Marc Alaimo, as he played him magnificently. That episode where he and Sisko get stuck on that planet was fantastic.

12 Likes

What was that one episode with her, where she falls in love with a guy who has to kill himself when he hits 60? This one, played by everyone’s least favorite Major from MASH? This one, I believe… man, she was great in that. A lovely meditation on aging and death, along with culture clash.

12 Likes

I have to admit that playing Lwaxana’s high-energy flirty personality against straight-laced all-business Picard was always hilarious, but I also agree she got some much-deserved rounding-out in later TNG and DS9 episodes.

I didn’t get the chance to really dig into DS9 when it first aired, but after watching it all the way through on Netflix, Garak is probably one of my favorite characters just because he’s such a rarity in Trek. There are so few ambiguously-moral people in that universe, and if there are, they only stick around for a single episode as the antagonist of the week. The writers really got to play around in the mud with him and Dukat, and they made for great characters, even if they’re actually pretty terrible as people.

Also I’m pretty sure Garak would make every one of those outfits as a lark.

9 Likes

Was it the '70s when body hair on women was fashionable?

6 Likes

Garak was awesome… he was never on enough episodes, if you ask me. In the Pale Moonlight is one of the best single episodes of DS9, hands down!

garak-hope-best

ds9-garak-expect-worst

15 Likes

Frida says shaving can go hang…

11 Likes

I did think the “Lwaxana unexpectedly getting pregnant” bit on DS9 was a kind of goofy plot device considering they’d explicitly mentioned she was going through the Betazoid version of menopause way back in the earliest seasons of TNG. But hey, aliens gonna alien I guess.

3 Likes

Yah, people were loving Dukat so much that they had to change him up to be worse so people would realize he was actually the bad guy.

4 Likes

Just once it would be fun for a Star Trek episode to take the crew to a planet where all the women had big handlebar moustaches. And like, nobody even brings it up. It’s just a normal thing there, like how Trill have spots and Bajorans have nose wrinkes.

12 Likes

15 Likes

@allenk Are you sure you don’t mean Garak?

1 Like

Garak was kickass, but also a product of Cardassian secret services…

9 Likes

You reminded me of the Vermillion in the show Legion:

6 Likes

Just that Dukat was always a humorless prick, whereas Garak had his moments.

8 Likes

garak-welcome

14 Likes