If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

Do you have a source on that? I have read differently in her own words, but haven’t scoured for all her own words.

2 Likes

You’re forgetting the gratuitous stretching in spandex leotards with Crusher/McFadden scene.

3 Likes
6 Likes

I don’t at the moment unfortunately. There have been so many different versions of why she left over the years I may be confused on what actually happened.

There is this tho from the book ‘the fifty year mission’

The problems with my leaving were with Rick Berman. In my opinion, he’s just very misogynistic. He’d comment on your bra size not being voluptuous. His secretary had a 36C or something like that, and he would say something about “Well, you’re just, like, flat. Look at Christine over there. She has the perfect breasts right there.” That’s the kind of conversation he would have in front of you. I had to have fittings for Dax to have larger breasts. I think it was double-D or something. I went to see a woman who fits bras for women who need mastectomies; I had to have that fitting. And then I had to go into his office. Michael Piller didn’t care about those things, so he wasn’t there when you were having all of these crazy fittings with Rick Berman criticizing your hair or how big your breasts were or weren’t. That stuff was so intense, especially the first couple of years.

I started modeling when I was seventeen, so I was used to comments like that, but it was a different experience for me to be around normal, respectful people. And then he’s my boss.

11 Likes

nee-nit-nit-nee, nit-nit-NIT-neeeeeeeeee!!!

It’s all about the (star) base, about the (star) base, no Tribbles.

5 Likes

Does it work? The money thing? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Worf doesn’t have it easy either:

https://comicsalliance.com/nobody-listens-worf-star-trek-next-generation-comics-andrea-tsurumi/

2 Likes

A friend first kissed his now wife while she was in classic Star Fleet uniform.

11 Likes

Geek love is a sweet thing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Funnily enough, I was in just such an establishment just this morning!

10 Likes

I remember a guy wearing a mini skirt uniform in the battle bridge evacuation scene in encounter at farpoint. A formative sexual experience, although not one of the major ones.

4 Likes

Just want to note that the type of clothing that a character wears isn’t the only metric by which we can understand something as “feminist” or not… I found this author’s take on the Bajoran women to be notable. Despite wearing “skin tight” clothing, Bajoran women were writtten as fully formed, complicated characters… not just Kira, but Ensign Ro, Leeta, and the two Kais who were women. Given how often women in mass media are not “fully formed” but are mere side kicks to men or there for the men, I think this shows that this might have been a step up in many regards, even if not perfect…

22 Likes

Troi is just following Khan’s example

20 Likes

23 Likes

Personally the only redeeming thing about DS9 for me was General Martok. I could have watched a hour long weekly series of him talking shit to other Klingons, getting in drunken fights, and reminiscing about different battles.

5 Likes

Seriously one of my very favorite parts of TNG was Forbes portrayal of Ro Laren.

tumblr_ow91kn08tV1wytf3io3_1280

12 Likes

It’s impressive that Marina Sirtis was able to bring as much depth to that character as she did considering that she was not only presented as eye candy but also a female character whose alien superpower was to get really emotional.

11 Likes

I sew.
I like Star Trek.
I find the following interesting and well-written. And funny. Deserves a (re)post:

9 Likes
  1. Argh!
  2. Thanks for posting.
  3. JFC.
1 Like