If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

Sci-Fi Chainmail Bikini

4 Likes

I kind of think it’s a shame that chest hair isn’t as fashionable as it was back in the 80s. Mostly because that’s my default mode and I’m not about to start waxing.

14 Likes

TNG sure. For the first few seasons. Then when it went to a two piece the female variant was always cut tighter.

DS9: why were Kira’s uniforms always so tight compared to any other Bajoran officer? Why did Dax always get put in a padded bra?

VOY: 7 of 9 was brought in as nothing but sex appeal to boost failing ratings.

ENT: explain again why T’Pol was the first ever Vulcan to have noticable curves (at least the dcon tank went coed)

6 Likes

It oddly works…

3 Likes

Also, why was the Enterprise-D the only starship with curves like that? More like Enterprise-double-D, amirite?

aft

27 Likes

I’d tear a hole in that space-time continuum.
etc.

15 Likes

I was confused by this until I remembered I’m a homo, and chest hair is probably seen differently in other circles.

‘Course, the idea of people’s hereditary features being in or out of fashion is problematic in any context. It’s sad when someone feels compelled to shave something when it’d look better if they hadn’t.

Regardless of what you have to work with, successful style is always about saying “this is how I meant to look”.

15 Likes

(Squints)

what-a-dish

14 Likes

I saw that episode recently, and Riker sure seemed to relish his brief time as a human sex toy with the planet’s leader.

Which completely makes sense, knowing Riker.

11 Likes

Which, again, was kind of weird given the gender norms of that planet. It would be like Trump getting the hots for a giant hairy woman who actually had a position of authority and personal agency.

5 Likes

I want to see them in all of these.

N387cSV

8 Likes

My favorite immature joke from back in the day: whats the worst job on the enterprise? Riker’s yeoman cleaning his quarters. You know every surface there is covered in lube and body hair.

3 Likes

take heart – fashions always come back, and for some the attraction never goes away :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I think DS9 followed the same basic rules as TNG, though there was Quark’s bar so the dabo tables and barmaids were definitely a thing; but that seems more appropriate within context. Agreed Voyager (Seven of Nine took the cake on that) went over the top in specifically sexualizing the Borg…though I might argue that happened with Alice Krig’s borg queen in Star Trek First Contact in 1996…long before Seven came into fruition.

I cannot speak to Enterprise…never watched it beyond episode one. I found it impossibly terrible.

Overall, I agree it was there, but I am not sure its a matter of the ST franchise or creators being deliberate as much as just “sign of the times” and we just look at it through a more evolved lens these days.

3 Likes

And that context was “let’s get as close to the vibe of the Star Wars cantina as we can without getting sued for trademark infringement.”

8 Likes

Full disclosure: DS9 was my favorite series

8 Likes

So that makes it ok? I know I personally always had an issue with the double standard in Trek towards women throughout all of 80/90s Trek.

You should give Enterprise a try. It actually turned into a really good Trek show. I ignored it for years. Once Discovery started referencing it I gave it a go an was pleased with the results. Sexism in outfits aside, T’Pol was a wonderful character and imo the the best 1st officer in all of Trek.

3 Likes

It’s not about is it ok or not. Its pretty easy to judge things from 30-40 years ago and say “Well that aged badly”. I am not on board with unilaterally applying today’s standards to previous generations actions. Yes it helps us move forward and at times yes we can condemn the past… Star Trek’s sin here is not a hill I would ever pick to die on.

Yeah, hard pass. I watched the first ep…hated it instantly…then tuned in for the finale and read up on the series so I wouldn’t be lost and was glad I had skipped what to me was a shit-show. Not to say there weren’t some cool things or good characters…I am sure there were. Just wasn’t my cup of tea.

5 Likes

Link

25 Likes

Guess we will have to disagree on that stuff then. I know for a fact I had a problem with it then just as much as I do now.

Arguably one of the worst episodes of all Trek ever produced. Sorry the show overall didn’t work for you. There was some great stuff inbetween those shitty episodes. (altho what Trek pilot episode was not without its faults or issues?)

4 Likes