If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

You’re right, that is less creepy.

3 Likes

That character shall always be remembered as “Tunic Guy”.

3 Likes

I was looking at Riker thinking, “That actually looks kind of familiar, wasn’t there an episode where…?”

Yep, there was. Thanks for saving me the trip to Memory Alpha.

6 Likes

As much as I hate creepy clowns, I was fine until I got to Worf.

2 Likes

Yes, that was the in-world rationale, but the reality was a bit more creepy. Roddenberry originally wanted the Troi character to have four breasts, and she’s a direct rework of Ilya from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (itself lifted from the abortive Star Trek Phase II), who was much more directly written as a sexy alien from a sexy sex planet. Troi’s early season-one look did include both terrible hair and the “tunic” version of the official Starfleet uniform, which I’m convinced they put on some male extras early on just to whitewash showing off Troi’s legs. The internal complaint with that original look was she looked like a “space cheerleader,” and they weren’t wrong. They went through several versions of her costuming over the course of the show, all angled towards keeping her a sex object for viewers, before finally relenting (after Roddenberry’s death, it should be noted) and letting her wear a normal uniform late in the series.

24 Likes

In fairness, it was revealed that Troi’s outfit isn’t a uniform in the episode “Chain of Command”. She was reprimanded by Captain Jellico for not wearing a Star Fleet issued uniform.

3 Likes

William Ware Theiss really slipped badly in his final years

4 Likes

I bet they turned the A/C to “high” on the set that day!

2 Likes

What an unpleasant discovery.

It seems that my nausea knob goes to Eleven.

2 Likes

That episode where Westley brought aboard a race of evil intelligent garments that took over the ship.

3 Likes

Ah, the “Techno-Necro-Pants” episode:

Update: Wikipedia says “Icelandic” but I think we can gloss “Ferengi”.

Update 2: The Wrong Trousers! [Gasp!]

12 Likes

One thing I remember thinking about that episode when it aired was that on that planet women were supposed to be the physically larger/more “masculine” sex while the men of that planet were physically slight/more “effeminate.”

So when tall, muscular, hair-covered Riker showed up it would be just as shocking for that society as seeing a giant muscle-bound woman proudly displaying a thick pelt of body hair would be on Earth (if not moreso given how sexist that society was supposed to be).

16 Likes

Would be worth it if the crew had to run around naked for the rest of the episode while they defeated the aliens.

8 Likes

ok. but us watching the show an seeing her wear that is not (at least in my book) us harassing her. But hey…its 2020 and if trying to cancel-culture or retro-judge something from 1986 is your thing go for it. I’ll take a hard pass on that one.

3 Likes

Patrick Stewart is undoubtedly hawt, [something about Earl Grey here], smokin’ hawt.

4 Likes

Lets not pretend that all sexism towards women on Trek ended with Roddenberry’s passing. DS9, VOY and ENT all had a female cast member in skin tight something as their regular uniform. Let alone the behind the scene harassment that led to Terry Farrell’s leaving.

12 Likes

When I was much younger (sigh) Marina Sirtis spoke at the local convention. Her version of the story then was that they put he in one of stock uniforms for the Encounter at Farpoint premiere, and it looked terrible, at least in producers opinions. (And if you look at the thigh-length dress she was in - and the pile of 1987 hair she was under - they have a point.) So they spent the next five years trying various things that were better but still not great until someone finally put her in a newer blue uniform, to which they said , “that looks great! Why the hell hasn’t she been in that this whole time?”

In the documentary “Chaos on the Bridge”, various writers and producers told that Roddenberry had really started to believe his own hype, and really believed that the optimistic, progressive message of Star Trek would be his legacy. It kind of makes it hard to tell which parts were cheesecake and which parts were him making a deliberate effort to be sex-positive. (For example, he supposedly wanted a lot more same-sex massages in scenes on Risa (“Captain’s Holiday”, 1990) than he got.

14 Likes

I buy all of that. People are complicated, and both perspectives on that make sense in a Rashomon (or “A Matter of Perspective”) sort of way.

6 Likes

OH MY GOD

Thank you for posting the Ferengi necropants here. You are my hero. I love necropants. Now we just need someone to edit them into that W&G episode and I can asplode as a happy mutant. (It should go without saying - probably literally - but you can wear my lower half afterwards.)

4 Likes

i know it’s fun to make fun of Riker, but he did have a chest you could hang on for a long time…

9 Likes