If everyone on Star Trek: TNG wore the same uniform as Counselor Troi

Now I am picturing Will Riker making Nudist Beach poses, and arguing with Data over the proper pronunciation of the Dotonbori Robo units.

2 Likes

As I get older I begin to suspect that Riker’s mother’s maiden name was Quagmire.

4 Likes

Rob,
I believe this was initially posted as OC in Star Trek Shitposting, a group on Facebook. Advise you go there and contact an admin if you want to properly attribute this glorious meme.

Captain Jellico reprimanded Troy and told her to get in a standard uniform. It was insulting that after several seasons of TNG using Marina Sirtis as eye candy they decided to write a scenario where it had been Troy’s choice to to be out of uniform all along. Like every day Troy got up and made the obnoxious decision to put on a sexy outfit that wasn’t her uniform.

5 Likes

How did everybody suddenly get the same cleavage?

3 Likes

Transporter malfunction? Not any more ridiculous than the time Ro, Keiko, Guinan and Picard became kids.

7 Likes

Thank you!

8 Likes

You’re going to need some sort of flying, giant naked mole rat thing to deal with that…

1 Like

I didn’t see it as insulting within the plotting of the show. I’m trying to separate what was going on behind the scenes with what was happening on the screen. If Troi didn’t choose to dress differently, who was supposedly making that choice for her - a commanding officer? If so, that would’ve been insulting. I saw it as her being empowered to choose her attire, and having that taken away. It was framed as another example of Jellico getting on the crew’s nerves.

I agree that the decision of TNG writers to use Marina Sirtis as eye candy was insulting. The counselor could’ve decided to wear a standard uniform after the episode “Disaster,” when her rank and abilities were challenged.

6 Likes

I would so rock that look.

2 Likes

With a fabulous glowing beard.

1 Like

To that point right there I always felt that was a deliberate part of the writing for her character. She didn’t wear the standard uniform as she was less officially a Starfleet officer and more a conscripted medical professional. Think: Hawkeye in MASH. He’s an officer but really just a draftee doctor who does his own thing.

And having served, I can confirm this has some basis in reality. Medical staff have far more free reign than traditional personnel.

I loved that episode (thine own self) wherein it challenged the character. It showed how her mentality was not geared toward being a commanding officer as her empathy clouded her ability to make that command decision.

Her character went through some great growth.

7 Likes

DS9 was really underrated at the time, I think. I didn’t really appreciate it until re-watching it recently after having consumed the new Battlestar Galactica many times over. In hindsight DS9 really was Moore’s proto-BSG. The dark feel, the gritty realpolitiking, the jabs at religion, the humans-are-our-own-worst-enemy storylines, etc. It’s all there, it’s remarkable sci-fi, and in hindsight was just 10 years too soon for people to like it.

9 Likes

Granted, that’s funny, but I really didn’t need to visualize that.

1 Like

You are welcome.

3 Likes

“You painted a naked woman because you enjoyed looking at her, put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting “Vanity,” thus morally condemning the woman whose nakedness you had depicted for you own pleasure.” ― John Berger, Ways of Seeing

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.