If there are any Republican thinkers out there, watch this video about January 6, narrated by Liz Cheney

“Republican thinker” is largely an oxymoron.

5 Likes

Yeah. It’s like the republicans have intentionally forgotten about the whole party swap and southern strategy thing that has defined them for the last 50 plus years.

7 Likes

“We’re the party of Lincoln and how dare you disrespect statues of the people who rebelled against him.”

12 Likes

After Lincoln, all they have left is Ronald Reagan: “We are the party that produced at most 1 winner (and that 1 win is contested)”

1 Like

8 Likes

I don’t worry about her getting ousted from her leadership position in the Republican Party because I think she’s a hero. I worry because she’s one of the few remaining Republican leaders who have any interest whatsoever in maintaining any connection to objective reality or rule of law. She doesn’t appear to share many of my values, but she does believe in the peaceful transition of power.

If she was a villain at least she was one of the villains who could be reasoned with. Once they’re all gone we’ll be left with nothing but cultists who want to burn it all down.

8 Likes

The group actually calls itself the Republican Accountability Project

I’m sure they’ll hold Cheney’s father accountable for the invasion of Iraq any day now

13 Likes

While I do appreciate the acknowledgment of actual reality in the face of mass willful delusion, that still doesn’t change how I feel:

13 Likes

This is how I fell about the Lincoln Project. Yeah, I can appreciate some of the anti-trump videos but at the end of the day I hate what those assholes have done in the past and represent. They helped cause this mess and just because they now realize they unsealed a monster they should have realized they were heading in that direction decades ago. Just because it has now gone too far doesn’t mean all the steps before this shit wasn’t bad. We knew where it was heading and these assholes didn’t care then.

Fuck those guys.

11 Likes

That’s pretty much exactly what I said about TLP as well.

11 Likes

Yes, that’s what the Cheney types want, Voters to think they are redeemable, the are NOT redeemable in any shape, way or form. They made this mess and deserve zero sympathy.

5 Likes

From my point of view it’s not a question of whether she’s a sympathetic or redeemable figure. It’s a question of how likely she is to usher in the wholesale destruction of democracy and rule of law compared to the Republicans who are replacing her.

If I had to choose between Dr. Doom and Galactus I’d go with the villain who wanted to rule the planet over the one who planned to eat it for brunch.

10 Likes

There is a third choice/option, I leave you to discover it on your own time and place. See you on the other side, with welcome arms as always.

2 Likes

I’m not the one making the choice at all, the Republicans are. I’m just sitting over here watching with increasing apprehension as they make ever-more-terrible choices which will affect us all whether we support them or not.

6 Likes

16 Likes

The answer is very. Does nobody remember the Bush administration? Because at the time we knew it was very much a threat to democracy and rule of law, and part of the reason were because the attacks it was making were sure to escalate in the future, which is exactly what Trump and McConnell and the others represent. Cheney is from the kill-it-slower branch of the party. Glad she doesn’t agree with kill-it-quickly but that’s as far as it goes.

11 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah, I was screaming though the whole thing. I saw the way they were lying and admitting what they were doing is just not caring it was all about pushing the reality they way they wanted it and damn the truth. That was dangerous as fuck and knew it wasn’t leading us anywhere good. Yeah it’s bad seeing even a vague “Voice of reason” getting kicked by the rest of the party but damn them they really deep down do agree with it just not out loud. She was find with the gerrymandering and voter suppression when it was easy to brush off. Fuck her and the whole party. I with I had a good solution to fix this mess but at least it’s in the open now.

5 Likes

tumblr_10749a1c9a36bf3581e4db5ab7618730_9dc91cb4_500

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure their concern is not that democracy and law are being threatened, which they are fine with, but that in doing it so blatantly the Republicans might be overstepping and putting their party and agenda at risk. And frankly, there is nothing I appreciate about wanting to save the Republican party and its blood-soaked agenda.

9 Likes