If there are any Republican thinkers out there, watch this video about January 6, narrated by Liz Cheney

I guess that 7% is the best we can hope for and expect from a Republican representatives political will…

Which begs the question what percentage of that 7% will enable any worthwhile change or benefit to humanity?

I’ve got to agree with this. It’s hard to believe a politician can be ostracized for telling the truth.

Nope, that is like a rat fleeing a sinking ship.

Lizzy is fine with racism, gay discrimination, voter suppression, she liked the illegal weapons trade under Reagan and the war crimes of Bush. She stepped out when the tide turned against her favour, not because any moral or ethical consideration.

6 Likes

There was a time when it would have been courageous for a Republican to take a principled stand against Trump and Trumpism and become the voice of reason. It was ::checks watch:: about five years ago.

2 Likes

Liz Cheney agrees with the majority of Americans – that January 6 was an existential threat to US democracy

Was their a poll done here? Half the country voted for trump. I’m not saying this isn’t true, but anecdotally this doesn’t seem to be true.

Why would a disorganized group of trump supporters be a threat to one of the most powerful countries on earth? Maybe a threat to some senators who otherwise live in a bubble completely isolated from their constituents. Completely separate from any consequences their actions in congress might have. But a thread to democracy? That seems slightly hyperbolic.

To me the bigger threats are Citizens United ruling allowing unlimited spending and further pushing our country towards oligarchy, recklessness of “news” organizations and their extreme partisanship favoring narrative over facts, revoking net-neutrality, warentless spying on Americans post 911 (and the whistleblower being stuck in Russia for exposing US crimes), the prison industrial complex, the military industrial complex, the extradition of a journalists (Julian Assange) under espionage act and the president that will set for freedom of press, and imprisonment of people at Guantánamo without charges or a trial.

That is all to say the “insurrection” while horrible and shameful, ranks fairly low relative to other threats to democracy.

No. That’s not true at all. About 73 million people did, which is not “half the country.” So don’t post outright lies. On top of that, he NEVER broke 50% approval with the general public in his four years in office. Never. On top of that, HE LOST THE FUCKING ELECT. Full stop. No where near the majority of voters did not vote for him.

It WAS an insurrection, so stop gaslighting.

10 Likes

January 6 was not an isolated incident, and it is not over yet. It was just one event in a string of attacks on democracy that continue even now with new voter restrictions and other aggressive attempts by Republicans to impose their rule on a nation that increasingly does not want that.

Also…

I would be remiss if I did not point this out.

When you frame it like that it almost seems like you are arguing that because something has underlying causal factors and does not succeed that it is insignificant and inherently non-threatening.

This is a bit like saying
“sure the ‘arson attempt’ was was bad but since the house didn’t burn down after all it doesn’t matter and so let’s consider the real problem… all this oxygen in the atmosphere, and that gasoline, and matches, and the containers gasoline is sold in! Just forget about that ‘arson’ bull already!”

10 Likes

If only we had some historical insight into failed, attempted coups… sadly, no such thing exists… /s

10 Likes

Not remotely an ally of any sort, good or bad. What she is, is evidence of what will happen to any Republican not willing to kiss Trump’s… ring… or value their own personal honesty and integrity over the Big Lie. Not that any of them had much of that to risk. As has been pointed out many times, if you want to deal in facts and real-world issues, the Republican party is not for you anyway.

7 Likes

Because they successfully identified the weakest point of the succession process, deliberately targeted it, and tried to prevent it from happening long enough for their allies in Congress to replay the shenanigans of 1877 somehow

It wasn’t a great plan, it didn’t work, but something like it could work next time, or the time after that

7 Likes

She’s a politician. She’s looking out for herself and yeah – I agree that eventually the GOP will need to reform around something other than Trump. And that seems to be Romney and Sasse and Cheney who are staking that out. She’s made her bet – I think it’s the right one – but it’s still a big risk.

NB: Although I did not know her well (although well enough to stop me on the street once to say hello) she was a class ahead of me in law school and was – even among that crowd – off-the-charts smart.

3 Likes

The ones that made their way into the capitol building with zip ties to kidnap people, actually made their way into the offices of people like the speaker of the house, and only didn’t get them because of prompt action by the police? No idea. I think it’s probably because the country is extremely soft on white supremacist terror, because I’m sure any other such group would have been stopped.

7 Likes

Spoken just like someone with very little at risk, should society actually fall.

Meanwhile everyone who isn’t part of the protected in-group (White, male, straight, & claiming to be Xtian) is endangered by the very threat.

10 Likes

Except she’s not fleeing the ship. Her fellow pirates are making her walk the plank.

4 Likes

Because Trump supporters comprise a large portion of one of the most powerful countries on earth.

There’s nothing magical about our government that makes it any more invulnerable to collapse than any other government in history. If enough people decide rule of law doesn’t matter then rule of law ceases to matter.

7 Likes

I mean, they certainly aren’t the ones at the biggest risk, but I think the smart people in the protected in-group recognize the Niemöller poem just keeps going.

6 Likes

No. That’s not true at all. About 73 million people did, which is not “half the country.” So don’t post outright lies.

By vote you’re right it was 46.8% to 51.3%. By geography it was 25 states to 25 states (plus DC for Biden, and some splits in districts). So to say half the country voted for Trump isn’t completely wrong, I suppose I should have said “close to”, nevertheless it was pretty close.

On top of that, he NEVER broke 50% approval with the general public in his four years in office. Never.

His average was 41%, Obama’s was 47.9%. Jimmy Carters approval rating was 45.5%, less than Trump! That’s crazy to me, given how horrible of a president Trump was. Why did 41% of people approve of Trump?! IMHO this goes to my point of extremely partisan news being a danger to democracy. Fox News intentionally cultivates a cult-of-personality and gasslights many to the point that some even stormed the capitol.

1 Like

January 6 was not an isolated incident, and it is not over yet. It was just one event in a string of attacks on democracy that continue even now with new voter restrictions and other aggressive attempts by Republicans to impose their rule on a nation that increasingly does not want that.

I Agree.

I would be remiss if I did not point this out.

Point out what?

Yes. It is. because not all states have the same populations. People are not evenly distributed.

And it was 69% at it’s highest. Carter’s was 75% at it’s highest. Trumps NEVER cracked 50%. Not one single time. It’s completely disingenuous to say that Trump has the support of half the country. He lost. He was not wanted by MORE than half the country.

So, once gain, STOP gaslighting.

11 Likes