If they remade the Six Million Dollar Man

*Reads daneel’s comment

Great. Now the theme music is stuck in my head. :stuck_out_tongue:

To be clear, my issue with Mark Wahlberg isn’t his acting, it’s his criminal record.

And I don’t mean this:

2 Likes

The Adjusted For Inflation, Six Million Dollar Man doesn’t have the same ring to it. Anyway, if you really want to keep up with the times, it should be: “The Planned Obsolescence Man”.

Come on - who hasn’t beaten up a random Asian guy for fun in their youth?

2 Likes

I was shocked – disturbed – by Boogie Nights.

After a bad day, in the middle of a hard week, during a difficult phase in my life, needing mindless distraction, I went out to see “that new Burt Reynolds” movie, which I assumed to be comedy because, hey – Burt Reynolds movie!

Good movie, in retrospect. Heavy shit. But not a comedy; not a cure for my blues.

This version will have the stereotypical hacker who helps him break the DRM and block the NSA’s backdoor override.

4 Likes

The good thing is that big foot will only have to be 5’10

2 Likes

TV execs should have known better - the first episode of Battlestar Galactica reportedly cost $7 million to make.
Yeah, six mill is a ridiculously low figure. I’ve seen estimates that artificial limbs that just got close to basic human ability would cost something like $110 million. I suspect an unrealistic number was deliberately chosen to help with suspension of disbelief because realistic costs raise the question - how much could one very strong guy be worth? More than a fighter plane? More than a fighter plane and some tanks?

But, how would the prices look per one if there would not be just one guy but 100,000 of them? Things can get amazingly cheap in large amounts.

I just ponder how a 6 million dollar man project would really turn out. Maybe a cybernetic pinky?

1 Like

Insufficient bongosity for you then?

It depends. If you rely on the Medical device industry, sure. But imagine a 6 million man that’s been 3D printed from ABS plastic.

1 Like

IIRC the six million dollars came from Martin Caidin’s original novel ‘Cyborg’.

Nowadays, if the British government ran the project, it’d be budgeted at six-hundred million and offered to the private sector who would promise to have it delivered in a year’s time.

Three years later, Parliament would finally get round to remembering it’d asked for a killer cyborg and ask the company in to ask some polite questions. Then we’d learn they’d lost the money on cocaine and hookers and run up another couple of billion in other essential costs. ‘Don’t worry guv’, they’d tell the gov - ‘just another couple of billion and it’ll be perfect’.

Twenty years down the road we’d have a three wheeled parking attendant whose left eye occasionally goes ‘ping’ and can boil an egg in its shell at a hundred metres - but only on Wednesdays.

But have no fear, for just another ten billion we can buy a killer cyborg from the Americans just as soon as it can be trained to drive on the left and make a decent cup of tea.

4 Likes

But just think of the modern episodes - The Internet of Things. Heartbleed has a whole new meaning. And what happens if he tries to use a touch-screen with the bionic arm?

That TV series was part of my maturation about TV. When it started, I was all excited about the technology and the astronaut stuff and WOW BLINKIN’ LIGHTS! But somewhere in there I had a growth spurt in maturity - and the bed-spring sound effects soon became the motif of the series for me. It was the first TV series I realized was truly HORRIBLE.

Really, it’s called hyperbole. Look it up.

Marky Mark?

If they crossed this over with Boogie Nights’ Marky Mark it would be totally awesome.

You mean, listen to Whalberg turn spaghetti on a spoon while talking about what a good fookin caap Mulveney was? /exhales thru his nose/

Pass.

Back in the eighties I read an article in National Geographic that was illustrated with a photo of all the state-of-the-art body part replacements, laid out over an outline of a person. Creeped the hell out of me, and I imagine there’d be even more replacements available these days.

1 Like

Wow, that’s pretty detestable. Getting reactions is fun, huh?