If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

One of the things I’ve been amusing myself with lately-- just taking pictures of the little animals that come into my yard. I thought this one was particularly cute. He’s resting because he spent the last thirty minutes stuffing himself.

17 Likes

There’s a bit of cloud visible at the top, but most of this is smoke.

11% is the most they’ve ever claimed to have contained. Forecast: hot, dry and gusty.

Getting rapidly worse:

Crop showing some of the many huge flame-retardant strips that will paint the mountain for who knows how long. For the crews’ sake I hope it’s not the really carcinogenic stuff.

Update
And now a distinct plume coming up.

16 Likes

That is frightening. I’m so sorry. I wonder how bad wildfire season is going to be out west this year, with everything else going on.

10 Likes

I think we’re lucky in that this happened before wildfire season started in CA, so there were lots of resources able to come out and and help.

One of my parents’ friends is doing a lot of the strategy for this, I’ll be fascinated to hear about this from him when this is done.

I have heard that the invasive buffle-grass is causing the fire temperatures to be really damaging, especially to the saguaros.

9 Likes

Not every day you learn a new word that’s fun to say and will make next year’s valentine’s day card nerdilicious.

6 Likes

[Attempting to recall Patrick Warburton-era Tick]

-I am the Tick!

-Don’t ticks have six arms?

-How do you know I don’t?

3 Likes

Glad to hear that. I hope they can get it under control soon.

thanks for updates on it! I have not heard about this on the news, so it’s good to hear a first hand report from you.

5 Likes

I was thinking there was something slightly vagina-like (vulva, actually) about it. And as it’s on a motorbike, was wondering if it symbolises “no root, no ride” as it sometimes does here in Australia. “Root” equals having sex, in case that’s another fairly localised thing! I think in America the equivalent is something like “no arse, grass or gas? No ride”.

4 Likes

Mixed my terms again. I meant vulva not vagina.

4 Likes

From the comic book: “Got a straw right here, pal, you want a demonstration?!”

2 Likes

The bad:

Most Tucson residents are a little conflicted about whether Summerhaven should even exist, quite because of things like this, but in any event, there are two roads out: one 4x4-only winding dirt track down the north side of the mountains, the main road a long, winding two-lane down to eat East Tucson, a good 30-minute+ drive in light traffic, so it must be a nervy time for them.

The good:

The fire is 22 percent contained. It has burned 13,200 acres as of Sunday evening.

That’s suddenly double what they’ve reported on any day for the past week.

https://kvoa.com/news/2020/06/14/update-crews-continuing-to-battle-the-bighorn-fire-12345-acres-burned/

The ugly:

Is turning in for the night.

8 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t having a go at you for using vagina instead of vulva. I was correcting myself but apologise if it seemed like I was sniping at you.

5 Likes

Growth continues, containment fixed at ~20%.

Rocky Gilbert, a operations section chief for the Southeast Incident Management Team, said firefighters would be in the Summerhaven area to review existing breaks and would set up a camp at Rose Canyon Lake.

Guess we’re not camping there this weekend.

7 Likes

Took some video down at Brackett’s Landing in Edmonds today.

Sorry about the wind. Go ahead and mute. There’s nothing to hear anyway.

13 Likes

Interesting parallel cracks in a downed sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)

16 Likes

Courtois Creek, MO

14 Likes

Likely following the grain. Certain (many) trees seem to grow in a corkscrew (helical!) fashion like that.

Love a good pano. Who’s swimming?

7 Likes

Actually I forgot that word and I was happy that you reminded me of it.

4 Likes

13 Likes

Uh oh.

17 Likes