If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

For context, this was lying along a well-trod jogging/walking path:

18 Likes

Did you step on it? For fun. I mean it’s asking for it.

13 Likes

well played!

7 Likes

Bumblebees on the sunflowers

18 Likes

Kankakee River State Park bike trail.

25 Likes

That’s a hop, skip, and a jump from both the Illinois and Indiana Nature Conservancy preserves known as Kankakee Sands, if you’re looking for other excellent nature locations in the general area.

14 Likes

1 mile in Helsinki.

Mile south

Same sightseeing terrace:

MiG-21BIS

15 Likes

I’ll have to check that out sometime. Also nearby is Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, on the former site of the Joliet Army Ammunition Plant, and a slew of conservation areas nearby. Slightly further afield is another gem, Joliet’s Pilcher Park, which has now achieved official nature preserve status.

8 Likes

Yup: all great choices!

You know, I’m not that far away. We could do a BB get-together!

9 Likes

Now I see i have a lot of dead pixels…

16 Likes

Well this is fucking depressing. The last remaining ancient American mound in St Louis (sometimes called “Mound City” for their former abundance) is this sad, fenced off remnant.

ETA: some history. Sugarloaf Mound is the oldest human-made structure in St. Louis.

23 Likes

moon behind coconut tree. I guess that is Jupiter and then Saturn?
thanks for the “heads up”! when I looked up, there they were! cool!

17 Likes

Just after sunset you should also be able to see Venus easily, and maybe Mercury with difficulty.

8 Likes

I think you are right. I have to confess I still have to use an app to “read” the skies.

By the way, your picture is very good!

9 Likes

this was around 1 AM EDT. long exposure made the sky seem brighter. that and moon was very bright.

8 Likes

Just a guy walking his sheep.

19 Likes

More ominous looking in person:

15 Likes

We got pretty rocked this evening by the storms.

8 Likes

Expressive rock

12 Likes

looks like Cracker Jacks

10 Likes