If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

It does form a circle. If you stand with your back to the sun and spray some water in front of you in a fine mist, you can see the full circle.

13 Likes

And when you finally see the whole circle, you also see ALL of the colors!

Rainbow Loop GIF by Reuben Armstrong

12 Likes

Meanwhile in Helsinki.

17 Likes

Ok, decided to give it another shot, and found National Geographic’s pretty great Rainbow explainer. The third slide shows a full circle, and confirms / lightly explains the lighter color on the interior. Man I love a good organization’s general “resources” website section. So often skipped over by search results, but when you find a good, well-organized one, they are the best of the web.

13 Likes

The center of a rainbow’s arc can be marked by a line running from the sun, straight through the observer’s third eye. That’s another reason rainbows are so interesting – they look like they are huge and “out there”, but really they are “located” inside the viewer.

The rainbow’s center is the head of the photographer’s shadow, or technically the camera’s shadow.

17 Likes

You have a double rainbow there. Lovely. I’ve seen these once or twice.

Now a brief, idiotic story: Back in the long-ago, a friend of mine also claimed to have seen a double rainbow but, unlike the one above, two rainbows that crossed over each other.

Y’know, from our other sun.

(name witheld, I’m not evil)

12 Likes

Thank you for that link. Fascinating.

4 Likes

Thanks but it’s not “mine”, the photo’s from that Nat Geo page linked by @HMSGoose

5 Likes

I just visited after that post.
Well worth it.

5 Likes

Should I instead use my butt to push the handson?

Recent visitors:

That snake showed up in the garage just a day or two after I had to shoo a much smaller serpent out of the driveway (lest it be flattened by wheels).

16 Likes

12 Likes

That looks sketchy

4 Likes

What does the “F” stand for: Fizza rather than Pizza?

3 Likes

Finnish?

3 Likes

Maybe F for France (doesn’t work in Finnish as France is called Ranska). Their website didn’t say.

3 Likes

Fast? (“Fast pizza” → “Fizza”.)

7 Likes

@MrShiv, @vermes82, @Murgatroyd:

Thanks for your ideas! I think @MrShiv might have it, although they don’t actually explain it:

Despite the lack of an explanation, I’d say F for Finland makes sense.

8 Likes

Do you know why? I can understand the “anska” part, but why R instead of F?

5 Likes

It comes from “Franska” but since Fr is uncommon in Finnish it was replaced with just R.
Source

4 Likes

So helpful, thanks!

I suppose I should have checked Wikipedia myself, huh? :woman_facepalming:t2:

5 Likes