If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Score. I love playing card decks. I wonder if they belonged to Bill Lear’s daughter Shanda?
:joy: (thats for real her name)

13 Likes

Finally, a worse daughter brand-naming than Paris Hilton!

10 Likes

Mrs. Shiv’s aunt is from near Wichita (a big aviation industry hub) and worked for Learjet for a while. (Also Eastern & Saudi Air, plus others.) So we have several of these decks.

Played this one for the first time last night. Very high quality. The cards are like silk

10 Likes

Milkweed was my guess… Ours look like that right now.

9 Likes

Claes Oldenburg, 1994.

15 Likes

Kansas City?

3 Likes

Yep, the marvellous Nelson-Atkins museum

4 Likes

Jeez. Even without the pun, I don’t think I’d appreciate being named disgrace.

5 Likes

It has been so long since I have been by there I didn’t recognize the buildings in the background.

2 Likes

Big Boy, one of the largest steam locomotives ever (4-8-8-4). This restored machine rolled into KC’s Union Station this evening. Video TK

16 Likes

I am seriously jealous.

8 Likes

I missed it in Tucson by a day: we had a previously scheduled out of town trip starting that day.

3 Likes

Spun back for another pic later. Steam shut off for the night

17 Likes

It’s heading to Lawrence next. After that, Hays, Denver, and finally Cheyenne. It’ll probably run again

5 Likes

Not today but very IRL, someone forgot their parking brake:

Edit for clarification: that someone wasn’t me :wink:

11 Likes

Anyone here have a preferred platform for uploading short videos? I have a few clips that would fit here, including some video of the car being hoisted, but I feel like most sharing sites keep changing their structure. Almost all prevent you from getting a simple file-based link but instead force a webpage onto you. What works well here?

3 Likes

Stack Overflow is getting weird:

9 Likes

Heard an amazing parking break brake story when I lived in SF. Was talking to a homeowner one a rather steep hill. The street was actually mostly level, but on one side there was generally a short steep drive (~4ft) up to most garages, and on the other side the garages and first floors (ground floors) were below the street. A person on the high side had his garage door open and the parking brake in his car, which was a modest, old sports car, I think a old Porsche, rolled out of the garage, down the 4 feet or so to the street, across the narrow two lane street, and down the short drive on the other side before colliding with the frame of the garage door there.

The impact was enough to knock the entire house off of alignment with its foundation. Not entirely sure if standard car insurance covers that.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Two short videos of this wonderful machine. Be prepared for the whistle at 0:06 in the first one – it’s very loud.

Sorry about the poor video quality – it was nighttime and we were back behind a hurricane fence.
12 Likes