If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Local library has gone French.

13 Likes

The properly done 18/5 HVAC wiring for the thermostat on the furnace. (One of the white wires is yellow. I had to use the front camera on my phone because the rear one is missing. One problem at a time.)

Total Lies! The 5 wire cable runs to a bundle on the top of the furnace, where it’s connected to 2 connector door bell wire, and a 2 conductor zip cable which eventually turns into another 2 conductor door bell wire, and that’s what runs to the thermostat. From five wires to four, if you’re counting. The one that’s missing is the common wire, which is needed for modern powered displays these days.

Fortunately the new thermostat comes with a 4-wire to C-wire adapter. It should be easy, as soon as I sort out the wires at the thermostat end. (I’ll take a wild guess that they don’t have labels.)

Plan B: Make a Home Depot run for a spool of 18/5 HVAC wire to replace that junk.

eta: The hardware installation was smooth, it works fine. The phone app, less so. It kept asking me for access to my location. I don’t intend to use the geofence feature, so no. No. NO. :ballot_box_with_check: Don’t ask again. And there it seemed to hang. Tomorrow I’ll probably give it access, get the thermostat on the wifi, port-scan the mother, kick it to guest access, and then remove the location access from the app. There’s no option to connect the thermostat to wifi without using the phone app. Later, I’ll connect it to a Raspberry Pi as a router and play man-in-the-middle, in preparation for the day that the company pulls the plug on the mothership. (Besides, I want to display the thermostat temp on my PiCrate, and maybe log the furnace activity.)

During config, the thermostat appears as an AP that you have to connect your phone to (awkward), but only during config, I hope.

Hm. The new neighbours seem to have an open AP “Basement speaker.o”. Tempting, but no.

12 Likes

Is that supposed to be a croissant at the bottom edge of the pic?

10 Likes

Oui. :croissant:

8 Likes

Today 1:57 pm Helsinki, Finland.

18 Likes

It’s the plowing job that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

15 Likes

Allergy Alert

15 Likes

Pevis Man strikes again

Update: Hah! I didn’t know this was a thing.

14 Likes

My bronchia are clenching just from looking at this photo

11 Likes

Ice floes on the Missouri River.

I kind of want to get out there with my kayak

ETA the downstream side:

16 Likes

I noticed that the butter packaging has changed, so the old “Land-o-Lakes trick” would no longer work…

6 Likes

Huh, I’ve seen that image many times, but never heard of this trick. Would you mind explaining what this trick is?

4 Likes

You could cut out her knees, and with some arts n’ crafts know how you could transplant said knees and make them look like boobs. That’s about it.

2 Likes

Ah. Boys taking the racist, sexist imagery to its logical conclusion, I guess. yawn

(But thanks for explaining.)

3 Likes

I heard about it from Beavis & Butthead comic #1. It was enough to get the magazine moved to the top shelf of the shop back home in Ireland. We didnt even have Land O Lakes butter.

5 Likes

It’s a 12yo boy thing. You could cut/fold the L. o’L. package so
download
…along the lines of folding G. Washington to resemble a mushroom

but yes, YAWN

3 Likes

4 Likes

Sort of like a horizontal version of MAD Magazine’s “Fold-Ins”.

3 Likes

19 Likes

What’s all this then?

6 Likes