If you vote for Trump, then screw you

Exactly. The level of discourse of the right wing descended about two orders of magnitude once Trump got traction. And I thought the conversation had hit bottom just with the rise of the “Tea Party”.

11 Likes

I did not expect that I would be outraged today that someone insulted Napoleon the pig, but that was really low.

7 Likes

That’s understandable, and my focus and concerns may change when we move from the west coast of the US to Belgium this winter. But for me, I’m comfortable with the idea of a new Cold War, and in dealing with a reinvigorated Soviet Union. We’ve been there before. But I agree, Trump’s foreign policy-- whatever that looks like-- will be problematic. But I’m pretty sure he’s not going to start dropping nukes on eastern Europe.

1 Like

Global warming is a hoax, evolution is a myth, Obama was born in Kenya, Islam is not a religion but an ‘ideology’, tax cuts will fix the national debt, Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, “death panels”. . . .

How exactly are liberals supposed to be humble when conservatives have been courting the moron vote for decades?

48 Likes

Trump is an incredible spite vote. If you feel like the system has ignored you, forgotten about you, dismissed you, voting for Trump is a scream that can not be ignored.

MLK once said that a “riot is the language of the unheard” - and I think there’s value to that quote. When people think they have no political reprieve, they resort to violence, to spiteful rhetoric and action.

Trump is the riot for an entire class of (largely white) people.

(this doesn’t mean they are justified, or correct, or that their solutions are worthwhile, but I tend to think it means they are victims of a culture that has misdirected their anger into a self-destructive expression by ignoring the actual concerns that underly them, some of which are legitimate)

8 Likes

I should have respect for people like this weasel?

When your loudest followers keep shouting Obama is a Muslim, He isn’t a citizen, and calling for the execution of the other candidate that is to be ‘respected’? Fuck that.

28 Likes

That’s fine, just be aware that you are part of the polarization problem.

2 Likes
[quote="HMSGoose, post:33, topic:85956"]

Don’t vote, vote third party or write someone in
[/quote]

All of which will have the exact same effect as a vote for Trump. If Hillary loses, Trump wins.

1 Like

Fuck that noise, and unfuck anyone who thinks that burning the fucking house to the ground with everyone still inside it is a good way to “protest.”

28 Likes

If you vote for Trump, you actively made an effort to help him win.

If you merely abstain from voting you failed to help stop him from winning.

The latter is foolish. The former is abhorrent.

25 Likes

Realizing that simply pulling up the ladder behind them won’t be enough to stop the demographic shifts, they’ve decided to set the building on fire and go “Nyah nyah! When we’re gone you get nothing!”

6 Likes

Consider the source.

1 Like

I agree with you completely… and I’m not defending anything Trump says. But as Hillary said, half of Trump supporters are deplorable and I’m pretty sure that we (liberal types and moderates) have failed the other half.

3 Likes

That’s fair. But then the others are supporting a man who is demonstratively more corrupt and craven than Hillary, who has no grasp of the issues beyond jingoistic soundbites, and who is the perfect dictionary definition of both “narcissist” and “egoist”, and they appear to be doing it for purely partisan reasons. That’s just as idiotic as the actual idiots.

I have no idea what that future would hold. The global markets could crash simply on the news that he is the winner. His business history reveals someone who bends rules, breaks rules, screws people over, and is gleeful about it. How that would translate into being President I don’t know. It’s not the same as running a business, despite what so many people think-- Trump can’t just fire generals or congressman or judges, like I’m sure he wants to do. It might be Pence’s show with Trump just making appearances-- are you OK with President Pence?

Maybe, or maybe once she has achieved what is basically any politician’s final goal in the US she will be herself and stop worrying about consultants and focus groups (those are, after all, from the world of campaigning more than governing.) What will the real Hillary do as President? I’m willing to bet she will be more or less just like Obama: mostly center-left.

14 Likes

Could you please expand on this? Not sure I understand.

Say, something like this?

But that gets overlooked because she also called the white supremacist half, with total accuracy, deplorable. So apparently respect doesn’t count unless you are actually respecting the core values of racism, xenophobia, and all other sorts of ignorance. And of course any respect for that is patronizing, which is itself disrespectful.

So congratulations, you now have a movement that’s made itself so horrible it can’t be treated with anything but contempt, and now get to try and blame people who won’t make excuses for it. Like the KKK, which just happens to support Trump, not that that’s a reason for introspection or anything.

42 Likes

Well, Pence has openly said that his role model is Dick Cheney, and that he admires how much power Cheney had as VP.

17 Likes

Bingo.

The guy who worked for Nixon, who thinks the President should have more power, who thinks torture is OK (but water-boarding isn’t torture, FWIW) and who almost single handedly gave us the disaster that is Iraq, a disaster we are still dealing with.

Now imagine him working with a GOP congress and maybe getting a Supreme Court pick in the process too.

18 Likes

That’s an awfully heavy-looking bag of stereotypes. You should think about putting it down and walking away from it.

25 Likes

I grew up there… St. Louis is a minor bastion of blue in a sea of red. Even back to the 1980’s I had to resist the urge to deck my peers in college after some of the racist idiocy that came out of their mouths when I went to college in a small town.

11 Likes