If you vote for Trump, then screw you

That was a lot easier before they became Trump supporters.

Trump is so abhorrent and nakedly racist that it’s like saying “maybe if liberal writers spoke of Klansmen with just the slightest hint of respect and understanding those people wouldn’t be joining the Klan.” Maybe it’s true, but it turns my stomach to think about doing outreach at a cross-burning.

48 Likes

Hell, I’m not a Trump supporter and would never vote for him, but articles like this certainly make me want to, no word of a lie.

I can’t help but wonder what the authors are actually hoping to accomplish, but it seems self-defeating to cast themselves in the role of being exactly the sort of person people would be proud to piss off…

11 Likes

Yeah, that will change a lot of peoples’ minds.

1 Like

I think there are some folks who are as described, but I think there is another silent mass of Americans who will end up voting for Trump because:

1. Some of the things he says make sense, and honestly, the rest of that stuff is just pandering. Other politicians do it, Trump is just beating them at their own game.
  2. The alternative is not so great. A guy no one else is going to vote for and Hillary Clinton. Scandal-ridden, a career politician, a woman and not even particularly charismatic. That’s something for everyone to dislike.
  3. The world is a mess and someone has to pay for that and someone has to fix that. A vote for Trump can be seen as accomplishing both.
  4. The Clinton campaign continues to do a horrible job at running against one of the shittiest candidates in recent memory. The debates will probably cement this.

I would like to be wrong, and I hope to be wrong. Some journalists are saying that the “closeness” of the race is media-manufactured to sell ads, but I am not optimistic.

4 Likes

I know people that are going to vote for Trump. I don’t think they particularly like him, but they can’t stand Clinton.

5 Likes

I will admit to secretly rooting for Trump during the primary season. I took pleasure in watching the GOP destroy itself. I also legitimately prefer Trump as a President over religious fanatics like Cruz or Rubio. This is getting less fun everyday as the possibility of Donald Trump being the president becomes more and more real.

Although I don’t support Trump in the least, I think generalizing every one of his voters as gun loving racist hillbillies is a mistake. I also don’t think the man will bring about the end of the world if he manages to get elected. I would bet on Trump being a better President than Dubya. I would also vote for Trump if my only other choices were Cruz and Rubio.

Choosing to vote for Trump at this point is not necessarily an expression of confidence in Trump, it can also be seen as a lack of confidence in Hillary who is the only other choice. I celebrated when Obama won (especially the second time). I had genuine political hope for the first time since Bill Clinton was elected. I genuinely liked Obama and would happily vote him into a third term if given the opportunity. I’m not sure I will be able to get off my ass to go vote for Hillary. I see her as a political robot. A puppet being operated by a committee of unseen consultants who will program the Hill-Bot to say whatever the focus groups are reacting to this week.

I can understand why some people will vote for anyone other than Hillary, which means I can understand why some people would vote for Trump.

13 Likes

People who are disrespectful and dangerous to the ideals of the U.S. don’t deserve respect. It’s that simple.

31 Likes

I don’t, I generalize a chunk of his voting base as gun loving racists, because they’ve most certainly been at his rallies. I think a great deal of his voters are either people who loathe Hillary so much they want to give her a middle finger or people who hate the current political scene so much they want to burn it to the ground by driving trollies America.

13 Likes

Agreed.

20 Likes

To be fair, don’t both sides claim that?

2 Likes

Right but hose idiots have been blindly voting for every republican candidate for decades. They are not unique to Trump they are just slightly more enthusiastic this time around. they finally have a candidate that uses a megaphone rather than a dogwhistle.

6 Likes

But honestly, screw these assholes the most. Don’t like Hillary? Want to make a noise? Don’t vote, vote third party or write someone in. Don’t pretend like Trump is some neutral throw-away.

29 Likes

More grist for the mill.

Donald Trump’s campaign chair in a crucial Ohio county has resigned after an interview with the Guardian in which she said there was no racism in America until the election of Barack Obama.

15 Likes

But every last one of them is supporting a candidate whose platform is built on racism.

Maybe some of Strom Thurmond’s supporters were genuinely non-racist individuals who just happened to like his economic plan. That doesn’t excuse them from supporting a man who ran for office on a pro-segregation platform.

30 Likes

Exactly. The level of discourse of the right wing descended about two orders of magnitude once Trump got traction. And I thought the conversation had hit bottom just with the rise of the “Tea Party”.

11 Likes

I did not expect that I would be outraged today that someone insulted Napoleon the pig, but that was really low.

7 Likes

That’s understandable, and my focus and concerns may change when we move from the west coast of the US to Belgium this winter. But for me, I’m comfortable with the idea of a new Cold War, and in dealing with a reinvigorated Soviet Union. We’ve been there before. But I agree, Trump’s foreign policy-- whatever that looks like-- will be problematic. But I’m pretty sure he’s not going to start dropping nukes on eastern Europe.

1 Like

Global warming is a hoax, evolution is a myth, Obama was born in Kenya, Islam is not a religion but an ‘ideology’, tax cuts will fix the national debt, Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, “death panels”. . . .

How exactly are liberals supposed to be humble when conservatives have been courting the moron vote for decades?

48 Likes

Trump is an incredible spite vote. If you feel like the system has ignored you, forgotten about you, dismissed you, voting for Trump is a scream that can not be ignored.

MLK once said that a “riot is the language of the unheard” - and I think there’s value to that quote. When people think they have no political reprieve, they resort to violence, to spiteful rhetoric and action.

Trump is the riot for an entire class of (largely white) people.

(this doesn’t mean they are justified, or correct, or that their solutions are worthwhile, but I tend to think it means they are victims of a culture that has misdirected their anger into a self-destructive expression by ignoring the actual concerns that underly them, some of which are legitimate)

8 Likes

I should have respect for people like this weasel?

When your loudest followers keep shouting Obama is a Muslim, He isn’t a citizen, and calling for the execution of the other candidate that is to be ‘respected’? Fuck that.

28 Likes