Ignoring employment law, Elon finds new and exciting ways to get Twitter sued

Most are “ornamental”.

2 Likes

Update:

Only 7% of employees clicked “Yes”, and the office will be closed until Monday because they need time to process all the firings. Musk literally thinks he can save the company by firing 93% of the staff.

You can’t make this stuff up.

20 Likes

If that’s true,that means Twitter now has under 300 employees.

6 Likes

I wonder what is the minimum number of people required just to keep Twitter operational at all? I mean assuming they’ve momentarily given up attempting any kind of content moderation, user verification, ad sales, product development, customer support, etc. there’s still got to be some critical number of staff just to keep the servers physically running, right?

If enough people just quit is there a reasonable chance the whole service goes dark by Monday?

17 Likes

I knew that Musk would sink Twitter.

I just thought that the whole process would drag on for at least six months.

15 Likes

Yah, a skeleton crew of a handful of engineers could keep the infrastructure running (patching, update the app for OS releases, migrating pieces of the server stack for updates, etc), but they’d be babysitting a corpse. Forget about adding whatever features Musk thinks will save the company.

It is astonishing, the speed with which he is destroying it.

22 Likes

Maybe he is a genius. Taking a company providing what many considered to be tantamount to global infrastructure, and turning it into a few dozen people huddling in one corner of a cold, dark building inside, what, a month? That’s gotta be some sort of genius, even if it wasn’t what he intended to do.

night wife GIF

13 Likes

Someone (NASA?) got him to back down over Starship. Launch date earlier this year was supposed to be “must-do” but hasn’t happened.

5 Likes

At this rate, it’s going to be gone before a vacant seat doesn’t renew the twitter.com domain January 21st, 2023. (And what a dog-pile for that expired domain!)

Oh ,and the new owner could switch off the Wayback archives of Twitter, if they choose.

11 Likes

That’s it! He’s angling for a small-business tax exemption!

10 Likes

The people who process the firings have, most likely, been fired. This has absolutely turned into the end credits for Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

And they’re not evenly distributed. Whole teams are goooone. It’d be interesting to know who is actually still there (in theory).

Part of that would be having minimum numbers of people in specific, highly critical, teams. Which don’t even exist at this point. And there’s going to be a difference between how many people they could run the company on if they pare the teams down with warning (i.e. removing features and dependencies) vs no warning (just having those features/dependencies stop working because there’s no one to maintain them and no longer having the staff to fix the issue).

Many of those jobs were done by contract staff, 80% of which were let go at the start of the week. I’d say they’ve pretty much given up on most of that.

Or, currently, no one in a cold, dark building.

14 Likes

I think you’re misinterpreting that poll.

7% enthusiastically clicked yes. Another ~25% did it because they had to.

5 Likes

Oh, I think you’re right. That was confusingly worded in the CBC article. Sounds like 25% clicked “Yes” because they didn’t know what else to do.

8 Likes

That brief moment where he had exactly 420 employees probably made it all worthwhile.

9 Likes

I never give more of my personal life to my employer as a matter of principle, non negotiable

The conditions have to be clear in the job description and the contract of employment, that is the extent of my commitment

If it was my business i would consider working extended hours but for a salary? Knowing you are as disposable as any? No way

Love yourself and take care of your life and your closest ones, a bigger house or nicer car is not worth it

11 Likes

15 Likes

… although Musk has been driving Twitter manually.

5 Likes

That email is the best advert you can get for joining a union

5 Likes

Would you kindly make this happen?

4 Likes

The startling speed of it has Truss/Kwarteng vibes, does it not?

5 Likes