Ikea in Singapore sells charcoal hot dogs

Originally published at: Ikea in Singapore sells charcoal hot dogs | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The aesthetically disturbing snack includes a black bun and an extra-long black hot dog stuffed with gooey black cheese.

Whoa, lot to unpack in that statement:
1] aesthetically disturbing snack
2] black bun and an extra-long black hot dog
3] stuffed with gooey black cheese
4] turns your poop green

16 Likes

16 Likes

What? Maybe they never drank grape juice or had eaten beets before? All kinds of stuff changes your poop color.

14 Likes

f6bb2cf23039e671e789eed5daa4d13a--the-right-stuff-scene

11 Likes

yeah who doesn’t like to contemplate over poop color? (nerdy biochem types especially) So how do you make black dye? Various ways (ask the next octopus you happen to see), but one way is to mix all the colors in your food dye kit (red, green, blue…) until black, well black-ish. Then down the intestine it goes (whee!). Your digestive process (dump HCl on it for starters) can break down and absorb some of it and one might be left with green (cf Burger King’s black burger bun emerges green). Then there’s naturally greenish endogenous bile (salts n’ bilirubin) which can get involved especially if it’s a greasy meal. (“OK but why is my $#!@ plaid?” …spaceballs?)

13 Likes

Haggis.

22 Likes

The BK Halloween whopper turned people’s poop green because the “black” dye was food coloring.

I ate one, and I had very vibrant green poop the next day. Like the color of grass. I was amused.

This purports to be colored with charcoal so I’d expect black poop.

8 Likes

And expect that medications may not work as well…,

15 Likes

Are they activated charcoal? Because I could use that in my first aid fridge.

9 Likes

This. Not the best thing to eat if you are taking certain medications orally and chronic consumption of activated charcoal may lead to malnutrition. Also, exercise caution when handling activated carbon if you want to make stuff with it as it can have some really fine dust that is best not inhaled.

9 Likes

British racing green, or just you average green?

8 Likes

Racing green, because slicks and skid marks.

12 Likes

I’m not really up on my green color names, but a bit brighter than that, actually.

1 Like

3 Likes

I like mine well-done.

4 Likes

Nobody tell Ordinary Sausage.

@Akimbo_NOT

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Scared Drew Carey GIF

4 Likes

Açaí does that too

3 Likes