Illinois marijuana dispensaries open New Year’s Day 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/illinois-marijuana-dispensarie.html

3 Likes

I’m disappointed that the rules on who can own plants are very restrictive. I dont smoke, but wouldn’t mind growing a plant just for kicks.

5 Likes

That Revolution Legal-Hero IPA looks tasty. Big fan of their other IPA’s, and this one is interesting at 8% but only 40 IBU’s

Rev’s “Legal-Hero,” according to a news release, doesn’t contain THC or CBD

Thank god for that. Else this would be a recipe for getting really messed up, really quickly.

2 Likes

Well, a bonus for going to Chicago to see dad, I guess. :smoking:

4 Likes

Actually, it’s not expected to be a good day - medical patients are already stocking up in fear of anticipated shortages due to so many recreational users. If you are accustomed to a certain strain and it’s properties, like a medical user friend of mine, it’s actually something she’s been fearing for months.

“Legalization” was a rush job by the state and there are not going to be enough dispensaries open, cannabis stock available to meet demand on 1/1.

“Good day”

3 Likes

Not much of a challenge really.
Depending on where you live it is probably growing wild in your back 40. The nickname weed comes from how easily it can grow and spread.
I remember some very tall scattered plants walking around the land of a previous girlfriend’s parents. Definitely not being cultivated just randomly about a pretty large area.
Also my mom pointed out one growing in the back yard of the new house. Most likely a seed from their neighbors blew over.

2 Likes

As a Missouri resident, I am very excited about this.

6 Likes

clara-see-what

6 Likes

My prediction is they are all going to run out of pot before the end of the day.

4 Likes

I’m thinking there will be rationing on the recreational side until things have been sufficiently ramped up. FWIW, Gov. Pritzker is warning dispensaries that medical customers come first. And, of course, cops will be cops, and they’ve been happily busting people for pot since (without a medical card) it’s not legal until New Year’s Day.

Meanwhile, Michigan, which was slow-rolling recreational legalization, suddenly realized that Illinois was going to beat them to the punch, and suddenly opened up recreational licenses at the beginning of this month. The situation is somewhat similar, with supplies limited and few licensees.

3 Likes

In California (specifically San Diego for my example), demand was high the first couple months, then slacked off. Prices dropped significantly for regular weed as well.

2 Likes

I wonder if this will have an impact on violent crime. People have often said the best way to end drug violence is to make drugs legal. I’m not sure what percentage of violent crime is weed-related but hopefully this will help things.

Just like me.

3 Likes

W.T.F.N.Y.C.?.!.!.? more regressive than Illinois, now? I guess without stop and frisk the NYPD needs to pull probable cause out of their ass somehow

It’s always been that way. Chicago banned foie gras before NYC did, but walked the ban back. We also didn’t ban super-size soft drinks, even if we do tax the living shit out of them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.