Immigrant detention facility driver slams truck into protesters, causing serious injuries

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/15/ice-detention-facility-driver.html

Several injured when black pickup truck drove into protesters at Donald W. Wyatt Detention Facility on Wednesday night.

6 Likes

Why is law enforcement not involved here??

16 Likes

Who do you think was driving the truck?

34 Likes

Someday I hope to work at a place that will allow me to commit an actual crime and the country at large would be okay with my being placed on leave as a result.

10 Likes

I suppose the quasi privately run bit makes it unclear if the internal investigation is a corporate or government thing.

2 Likes

I expect the outcome will be the same either way.

17 Likes

FBI should be involved. Douchenozzle should be in jail. Wtf?

13 Likes

Local law enforcement and state courts. They are less likely to be waved off by the current administration. Trump can’t pardon him on state charges either.

11 Likes

I’m sure all those politicians and media personalities that said the 4 democratic women were Anti-Semitic for criticising the actions of the state of Israel will be along shortly to point out that literally driving a truck into a group of jews is…?

31 Likes

Correction, I originally said the cops pepper-sprayed the protesters after they were run over, and the truck backed up and ran over them again. But I misread; the cops actually just stood by while the truck driver did his thing, and it was other guards who pepper sprayed the protesters.

15 Likes

That the people injured aren’t Israeli and so don’t qualify for type of “Jew” they care about.

7 Likes

A private citizen. But good news - now he can be held in a private prison when up on multiple attempted murder charges!

6 Likes

He’s described as a “Captain” so I’m assuming he’s employed by some sort of police?

2 Likes

In my experience cops love protesters being run over. During the protests over the murder of Tamir Rice, a car with Pennsylvania plates plowed through a crowd. We couldn’t even get the cop standing there to help us pick up the injured person. The same thing happens all over the country and somehow the drivers never have to face real consequences.

7 Likes

Why. Is. He. Not. In. Jail.

They have video of him committing attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. Unless they really want to try to claim that him driving over protesters is part of his job duties, in which case…

19 Likes

You could be in law enforcement!

1 Like

tumblr_0554cc426d4ebfe570e21258d9281cd7_c5a7fd98_540

11 Likes

Interesting on the ground perspective about my state of residence.

We are a very liberal/blue state overall. But those that are conservative and vote red/GOP are EXTREME. The majority of independents (like my spouse and I) are still incredibly liberal compared to them and we even at times supports various conservative viewpoints or policies (not many as of late tbh).

It’s almost as if those on the right in this state feel the need to compensate for the “rampant” liberalism and own us.

2 Likes

“The Wyatt supports the First Amendment right of citizens to peacefully protest on public property surrounding the facility, and the First Amendment right of journalists to report on the facility,”

It just makes me angrier that their spokesperson seems to be trying to make the place sound like a fancy hotel by referring to it as “The Wyatt”.

3 Likes

“Correctional” is kind of interesting here. These people aren’t being held as an (official) punishment, no “correction” is going on, yet the place is clearly more like a prison than anything else, so we say “correctional?”

6 Likes