Important man's African-American colleague wins Olympic medal

Here’s the CBC (public Canadian broadcaster) article on the same story. They didn’t mention the Canadian girl’s name (Oleksiak) in the headline either, but at least they didn’t mention Phelps over Manuel.

3 Likes

“On Simone Manuel’s historic night, stoner also does something.”

Fixed :grin:

2 Likes

To be clear, Penny Oleksiak got her own article that talked just about her.

Manuel’s story is historic and I think the CBC was right to feature it as well.

2 Likes

Can we just start a hashtag? #OlympicsMustDie or #OMD; something like that. Mind you, I’d like to see them reborn without the yoke of capitalism. Oh, uh, how do these # thingies work, anyways…:unamused:

here is a place in the world for the Olympics but i’d love to see it burned to the ground because of the rampant corruption like you see in FIFA. Also this nonsense of having the games rotate from country to country via bidding wars (and consequent siphoning of local funds and resources) needs to stop. Just rotate the games between a set list of countries that are best equipped to host the games. This would prevent or dampen the risk pf Olympic venues going unused soon after the games end.

2 Likes

Stranger things have happened. Remember the Wachowski brothers?

Kind of a sad commentary on The San Jose Mercury…not so long ago one of their star reporters uncovered the orchestrated malfeasance of the CIA and illegal drugs. Oh, how the mighty have fallen! Ooops! NVM - the LA Times decided to wage a war of their own against the journalist who broke the story by assigning 13 of their own to pillory the reputation of a man who should have been lauded.

Now the BBC’s at it.

At least at the time of writing, the image caption in Rio Olympics 2016: Laura Trott extends omnium lead (i.e. the first text one sees) is “Laura Trott is engaged to five-time gold medallist Jason Kenny”.

Is that really the first thing to mention, rather than her own three (and counting) golds?

Here’s the headline now:

Still despite Michael Phelps’s tons of gold medals, there are still 2 Olympic champion swimmers who will continue to be the most famous ones of all time (for reasons having nothing to do with swimming).

5 time gold medal winner Johnny Weissmuller, THE big screen Tarzan whom all other screen depictions are compared to

and gold and bronze medalist Buster Crabbe. Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers!

Since I live close enough to Canuckistan to have a choice, I watch a lot more Olympic coverage on CBC than NBC. The CBC broadcasters are much more into the spirit of the sports being observed. NBC only focuses on US athletes and the commentators are very quick to criticise participants who are not on Team USATM.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.