In 1977, a German tourist spent three days in Bangor, Maine, thinking it was San Francisco

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/12/in-1977-a-german-tourist-spent-three-days-in-bangor-maine-thinking-it-was-san-francisco.html

Just wait until he makes it to Cabot Cove.

4 Likes

This sounds familiar, so either I remember it from 1977, or something like this has already covered it.

I’m surprised more people don’t confuse Portland with Portland (Oregon versus Maine) or Moscow with Moscow (Russia versus Vermont). They once had a march to Moacow, and never left Vermont (though there were also marches to Moscow USSR for the same reason, disarmament)

2 Likes

Don’t forget the two Vancouvers, both on the west coast!

3 Likes

Well I did forget, though I’m aware of both. Seems a waste having two so close together.

2 Likes

Nothing like watching that sun rise over the California coastline.

7 Likes

Did someone say MURDER?!

3 Likes

If set up a trip Munich but was dropped me off in Hamburg, it would take me a long time before I caught on.

It’s a cool story, thanks for covering it.

1 Like

One of my favorite lines from Movin’ Right Along:

4 Likes

Kreuz: Can you show me to Haight-Ashbury?
Bangor Citizen: Is that a local beer?

2 Likes

I just pulled out a map, and walked over to 710 Ashbury street.

I can understand landing in the wrong city, it’s a mild fear of mine, but once there it’s harder to imagine.

2 Likes

That is not a unique fear as far as air travel… Mine involves not landing anywhere.

2 Likes

According to the article, he was there in October. Must have been in early October because if had shown up any later, I think the weather would have been a big tip off.

1 Like

Bangor looks a little less home-y these days, but a lot of the architecture itself is still present.

The same view today (courtesy of Google Maps):

The difference would be more like thinking you were in Munich while visiting Dinslaken, based on difference of population size in 1977, but yeah, I could it never occurring to me to wonder if I am in the right city.

3 Likes

The fucking Sutro Tower and the godfucker aka TransAmerica pyramid loomed over Baghdad By The Bay in 1977. Their absence should have been noticed, along with Ghirardelli Square and the Cockettes. No Golden Gate Bridge in Bangor, either. But lobster is cheaper in ME than CA so it’s not a total loss.

1 Like

He wouldn’t live to tell the story.

Someone crunched the numbers and found that per capita Cabot Cove is the murder capital the world, and visiting is a sure way to find yourself killed.

2 Likes

Spent a whole Christmas in Mendocino, never realizing the danger we were in.

It was before Murder She Wrote became the highlight of our evenings.

1 Like

He might have bought a second rate guidebook. No mention of how many eels were in his hovercraft.

1 Like

I’ve heard that, but wonder if there’s a mangling.

I’ve been watching Murder She Wrote from the beginning for a while, and she actually travelled a lit from tye start. And later, she had an apartment in NYC.

So was the statistic about only the Cabot Cove murders, or all the murders through the show, but attributed to Cabot Cove? I hadn’t realized she was away so much.