In Cree, Heinz new 'MayoChup' translates poorly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/23/in-cree-heinz-new-mayochu.html

9 Likes

It wouldn’t be the first time that a company bit the wax tadpole.

12 Likes

Well I would have to be mayochup to buy that monstrosity.

12 Likes

I guess they dodged a bullet, it could have translated into “A gelatinous blend of semen and blood”

14 Likes

Mayochup%20Plate%20Ontario

9 Likes

It’s along the same lines as the Audi “e-tron” car.
Audi being German, and quite a few Germans being French speakers, you’d think they would check… But apparently not.
“étron” means “turd” in French.

10 Likes

Where is Maledicta when you need it?

11 Likes

Coulda been avoided if they would have just used the correct name: “Fancy Sauce.”

11 Likes

I fail to see how this translation is incorrect.

6 Likes

Meanwhile some branding team is trying to figure out how the alien warrior race from the Marvel movies even heard about this product.

9 Likes

‘MayoChup’

A true culinary delight.

2 Likes

Apparently the Chevy Nova never sold well in Spanish-speaking countries (“no va” = “it doesn’t go”).

ETA: I guess that story was a non-starter.

4 Likes

Excuse me, but the correct name of the product is clearly FRY SAUCE. I’m from Utah, it is known.

15 Likes

why have two separate gallon jugs you got on sale go bad in your fridge when you can just have one?

2 Likes

Clearly an inferior product. Look at what we have in Germany.

21 Likes

Apparently the Chevy Nova never sold well in Spanish-speaking countries (“no va” = “it doesn’t go”).

Urban legend.

5 Likes

Stephen Fry sauce, who know?

Update: image mashup:

14 Likes

Why is a “dipping sauce” (it’s right on the label) called “fry sauce” instead?

I believe this to be a myth.

However, it is amusing, given the … linguistic richness of terms to describe masturbation, how many cars are named something that means “jerkoff” in another language.

I give you the Buick LaCrosse
and the Mitsubishi Pajero

I think that, mythical as it may be, the case of the Nova lead to companies trying to be more aware of unfortunate connotations for their brand names.

2 Likes

A fellow I know made this…

15 Likes