In Cree, Heinz new 'MayoChup' translates poorly

That would be unholy abomination

4 Likes

They could have avoided all this by just using that substance’s actual given name - “fry sauce”.

2 Likes

‘Nuff said.

3 Likes

I think it’s clever.

“Shitfaced” is what I would have to be to mix ketchup and mayo.

4 Likes

Seems apropo, nothing wrong here.

“Sometimes I really think people ought to have to pass a proper exam before they’re allowed to be parents. Not just the practical, I mean.”
― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

2 Likes

I must also confess that when i glanced at the thumbnail i was convinced that the condiment was mac & cheese flavored and i was 100% intrigued.

How abut the Vauxhall Nova. I used to have one of those. It was a nice car. But I heard the same thing about that.

What else do you expect from a twitter pole?

“In April 2018, Heinz announced the release of “Mayochup”, a portmanteau of mayonnaise and ketchup that is a mixture of the two sauces,[6] because 500,000+ users voted “yes” in a Twitter poll asking Americans if they wanted to see it in stores. A number of Twitter users responded that such a mixture already existed as “fry sauce” and “fancy sauce”.[7][8] The sauce arrived at U.S. retailers’ shelves in September 2018”

1 Like

Toothpaste on fries - oh, we’ve had that in Kentucky for generations.

2 Likes

I just came here for this link.

1 Like

https://cdn-eu-cf2.yottaa.net/5a341bfe312e583928bae755/www.heinz.it/v~4b.9/-/media/heinzit/media/images/products/pack-shots/salsa_cocktail.ashx?w=486&h=356&bc=white&yocs=3_4_5_&yoloc=eu

In EU it’s marketed as Cocktail sauce. The better ones have some worcestershire and a bit of cognac in, but most of them are mayonnaise and tomato sauce mixed in.

Then there’s the Honda Fit, known in Europe as the Jazz in order to avoid being semi-NSFW for speakers of Nordic languages.
Why, yes, I drive one.

1 Like

Come to think of it, it shows how important it is to ensure these languages prevail. There are quite a few online resources that have archived audio recordings of various spoken indigenous languages, offering free language lessons as well. But if Google were more of a key player in the consolidation of this kind of knowledge, a simple Google Translate could have prevented this poor wordchoice and embarrassing publicity. Whether Google cares and whether the Cree Nation would want Google involved in their traditions is another issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.