In Japan, Trump orders USS John McCain to cover its name and get out of sight

Poor Trump… He’s got Hillary Clinton and John McCain living rent free in that massive brain of his. Makes you wonder who else is rattling around in his skull. 70+ years of petty grievances.

18 Likes

I think it’s worse if he’s so attuned his people that they need to spend their days anticipating this sort of tantrum. Trump hasn’t the first goddamned clue what it ought to mean to have a ship named after you (let alone be worthy of the honor).

I remember this from 15ish years ago – the commissioning of the USS Jimmy Carter (SSN-23) – https://www.c-span.org/video/?185619-1/uss-jimmy-carter-commissioning (go from 1:00:59) –

“I’ve been honored in my life to be the Governor of a great state, I’ve been honored in my life to be President of the greatest nation in the world, I’ve been honored since then as part of the Carter center for our work for peace around the world, but the most deeply appreciated and emotional honor I’ve ever had is to have this great ship bear my name. I’m proud of the ship. I’m proud of Captain Kelso. I’m proud of all the officers and men who will serve her… on behalf of me and my wife I want to express our deepest possible appreciation. Thank you.”

14 Likes

Graydon Carter:

Just to drive him a little bit crazy, I took to referring to him as a “short-fingered vulgarian” in the pages of Spy magazine. That was more than a quarter of a century ago. To this day, I receive the occasional envelope from Trump. There is always a photo of him—generally a tear sheet from a magazine. On all of them he has circled his hand in gold Sharpie in a valiant effort to highlight the length of his fingers.

19 Likes

You have said that a lot recently

We do not follow orders blindly, regardless of the severity or seriousness of said order.

4 Likes

Oh man, I long for a day when all warships will look like that. I hate war and the troubles that come with it.

4 Likes

Brilliant :joy:

2 Likes

If true, with skin that thin it’s amazing his organs don’t just tumble out.

Holy crap. Freedom Molecules. I reject this reality now. For what that’s worth.

Thanks to being able to slap his name on whatever he wants, I’m sure you are right.

12 Likes

Nope. Here’s the USS Trump before it was painted gold.

11 Likes

15 Likes

Obama. The main reason Trump ran for President is to get back at Obama for making fun of him at the White House Press Correspondents’ dinner. He is hell bent on undoing everything that Obama did. I’d call him a baby, but that is rather insulting to babies.

6 Likes

Old Navy: Chief Petty Officer
New Navy: Petty Chief Officer.

24 Likes

That would be a feature, not a bug!

1 Like

Most reports I’ve seen mistakenly say the ship was named after the senator. It was not him, but his father. The previous USS John S McCain was named for the senator’s grandfather. Admirals ran in the family.

11 Likes

Yeah, I think that answers the question. “I didn’t do it, but I approve of others being assholes on my behalf.”

23 Likes

#nottheonion

5 Likes

Is the story that TRUMP told them to cover the name/move the ship? Or is it the different story, that the name was covered up and/or the ship was moved, maybe by Naval authority?

@anon61833566 is right, soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen aren’t just robots. I guarantee you these sailors hold their “boat name” in higher esteem than their commander in chief. That’s probably true of all Presidents, but this one especially. The naming of ships is a nearly sacred act and point of identity, camaraderie and even prestige among their peers. Just to say that you’re “in the fleet” is its own badge of honor, even if you’re on a dinghy dredging harbor trash.

Also: I really wish there were a more appropriate and gender-neutral term than “airmen”. Airpersons sounds dumb and air crew sounds too job-specific. Any ideas?

6 Likes

Anyone every consider saying “No” to this man-baby?

3 Likes

Apparently, that’s one of the only things keeping him from committing more serious crimes.

16 Likes