Update: After scolding from American Legion, White House again lowers flag to half staff in honor of John McCain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/27/despicable-as-usual-trump-alr.html

8 Likes

Petty, ugly tyrant.

May his colon burst most mightily, due to an overabundance of poop.

56 Likes

We won’t see real despicable until the tweets on the day of the funeral, that Trump was uninvited to.

24 Likes

23 Likes

Christ

32 Likes

So no Clintons invited? Hardly in the category of the POS currently in the white house but it’s their funeral so have at it

1 Like

You can pay for school, but you can’t buy ‘class.’

22 Likes

HorseShitDonnie

14 Likes

Supposedly a WH speechwriter wrote a full statement about his passing, but Trump killed it because he thought it’d sound ‘fake’ for him to praise a man he clearly loathed.

I’m no politician, but it seems like any ten cent speechwriter could have put something together along the lines of, “While Sen. McCain and I often disagreed politically, his service to this country as a POW and Senator has been bla bla bla…”

31 Likes

Also, as we’ve come to expect, any chance to draw people’s attention to himself is a chance Trump will take.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if part of his calculations is that the more vile the chance is the better it is, since that’ll mean all that much more attention.

20 Likes

I don’t think he killed it because it would have sounded fake. He killed it because he really is a petty tyrant who couldn’t stomach the idea of saying one positive thing about McCain.

30 Likes

I’m still astounded by people who are “getting used” to trump, who still have expectations that he might act as a decent human being. Myself, I grew up in the metropolitan NY TV station zone, with trump in full public view my entire life. He is selfish to perfection - he does not give a shit about anybody but himself. When he said he that he liked war heroes who did not get captured, he was not just making fun of McCaine, he was serious. McCaine was a looser who was locked up in sub-human conditions. Winners don’t get captured, the biggest winners figure out how not to go at all.

25 Likes

It’s ok to acknowledge DJT’s despicable behavior today, even knowing that it will be more despicable tomorrow. Let’s not start judging him by how repugnant he’s going to be. It allows for too much and will probably result in some sort of turd-biscuit paradox.

2 Likes

How could T possibly have anything to say about McCain? The guy represented honor and decency. T’s not capable of recognizing those traits.

2 Likes

Upon McCain’s passing, I saw several comments on social media from people, like myself, who wondered if and when Trump would say or do something deeply shitty, because it’s inevitable — and he didn’t disappoint. Frankly I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop with some snide comment at a rally to really play to his base.

11 Likes

Meh, he may have represented that at times, but more often than not, he didn’t. I have no interest in participating in the obit-omit phenomenon.

He was a man who was involved in a massive financial scandal in the late 1980s. He was part of the Keating Five, the savings-and-loan scandal. He agitated. . . for the illegal and catastrophic invasion and occupation of Iraq—never apologized, never showed any regret for that. In 2008, he ran a nasty, desperate and bigoted campaign for the presidency of the United States, alongside Sarah Palin, which, as you pointed out, again, did pave the way for the election of Donald Trump and for Trumpism in 2016. These are things he should be held to account for.

Sauce:

28 Likes

Maybe he should’ve put out a statement that said, “Farewell to a fellow corrupt racist warmonger with no guiding principles, sorry about your broken arms. Hope they send you to White Heaven!”

5 Likes

“Low energy LOSER McCain wouldn’t even speak at his own event. Sad!”

I wish I could say the same, but fools like that are exactly the kind of people who normalise fascism.

11 Likes

Exactly this.

The people who support ⊥rump do so precisely because of this sort of petty disrespect, not despite it.

3 Likes

Trump’s a shit, but fuck McCain: good riddance.

4 Likes