In-N-Out pledges to use only beef not treated with antibiotics for its burgers

Ok you peeked my curiousity and I took it to the internet, I didn’t even know this was a thing that they were kinda doing. Huh.
http://legacy.kgw.com/story/money/business/2015/08/12/burgerville-adds-beer-menu-se-portland-restaurant/31549483/

4 Likes

Wow, The More You Know indeed. Thanks!

2 Likes

Scooters? Dick’s?

Uneeda tries a bit too hard and the parking’s a PITA. I like Giddy Up, though.

How about Zippy’s?

Burgermaster?

And @japhroaig, if I’m going to a McMenamin’s it’s for a Terminator and fish’n’chips.

3 Likes

Antibiotics and steroids aren’t the same thing, ahem…

In and Out is good burgers, real shakes and meh fries.
We recently got a couple Super Dupers in the N CA area and WOW! Amazing burgers, fries, home made (ok ok) pickles and tasty sudsy BEER! Haven’t tried a malt yet. Yet. I hear Five Guys is also pretty darn good.

2 Likes

There is a reason their fries aren’t that great, but it’s also a reason people like their fries.

To make a non soggy, crisp yet fluffy fry you need three things:

• old oil
  • a fry at 325f
  • a second fry at 375-390f

In-n-out fries their taters without the middle step. Which means they are either soggy with oil, or… Well, let’s face it, they are just soggy.

A fry chef that can’t make a crisp yet fluffy fry just makes me sad inside.

3 Likes

Tots man!!

Cajun tots!!

1 Like

Omg,I just thought of something!!!

Poutine tots!!

2 Likes

Fantastic!
Try the Cajun fries, and skip the processed milkshake.

1 Like

Salted cardboard, sadly.

3 Likes

I think a friend of mine might be stoned out of his mind. His response to my Poutine Tots was Warm Carrot Cake Cubes in a glass of ice cold whole milk.

I am honestly intrigued.

3 Likes

Their fries are not bad, as long as you finish eating them within a minute or so after they come out of the fryer.

3 Likes

Don’t gotta go to Califor-nye-ay. We got one down the street here in Austin.

Real shakes are hand dipped, not machine squirted.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a White Castle burger, except from the freezer at the supermarket. As far as I can tell, they are the same as Krystal burgers. I always eat several of those whenever I’m in Nashville (every few years). 8-10 years ago, there was a Krystal in Fort Worth, TX for about a minute.

ETA: The best hamburgers (or cheeseburgers) that I ever ate were in Arlington, TX (despite my slagging on the place in other threads). There were a few places called Jackson’s, which I guess could be described as convenience stores, but in an older style than a 7-11 (some of them would’ve still been in rural areas when they were built). More of a roadhouse, I guess, with gas pumps out front.

Anyway, Jackson’s fried their burgers, or whatever the term is for cooking them on a flat griddle instead of an open flame. I think this had a lot to do with the flavor. They were the best I’d ever had, up to that point.

There was another place called Quickway, which was more of a convenience store as we know them, but inside there was a grill called Arnie’s. My friends and I started going to Arnie’s a few months after I tried Jackson’s, and Arnie’s was even better. (Someone’s dad had told him about the place.) We went there almost every day for lunch (in those days we could leave school for the lunch hour). Back then it seemed like I could eat as much as I wanted (e.g. a cheeseburger, fries if not cheese-and-chili-fries on the side, and maybe ravioli soup if they had it that day) and I remained a scrawny 125 lbs. (Of course, I smoked back then, too.) When we were done we’d either play pinball or Super Mario Bros. and pretty soon we were on a first-name basis with the staff.

We wondered why the burgers were so good; the guy’s dad who found the place had this idea that Arnie marinated the beef in beer. We asked him about that and he laughed it off, instead suggesting that it was the sweat of his brow (from the hot griddle) that got into the meat. @IronEdithKidd: FYI this place was down the street from Edison’s, but this would’ve been about 6 years after you moved away.

I think the last time I visited a Jackson’s or Arnie’s was 1990-1991, and both had switched ownership. Years later, there was a 50s-style burger place that had been a Del Taco up until the 80s. I had not been there for a burger (or anywhere else in Arlington) since 2004, and I’m told that the 50s place is now a Del Taco, once again.

Back on topic, I didn’t really think about what might’ve been in the hamburger meat – back then, we were starting to hear about McDonalds et al clearing rainforests so they could grow beef, and I rationalized that perhaps Arnie’s was getting the meat from somewhere better.

4 Likes

I managed two Burgervilles in the mid 90’s and while they are still one of the top chain burgers around they have always been a more expensive product than other chain burger shops. Their quality also went down a lot when they changed from flat-top to flat-top plus a top heating element called a “platen”. The burgers went from juicy one day to dry the next. The quality of the product was still superior to someplace like a Burger King or a Jack in the Box but it was not as good as it was and still 2-3x the price.

Don’t get me started on the decline of the Burgerville shake.

3 Likes

It’s really the fat content of the product. In Oregon the regulation is >12%.

The machine itself is just making ice cream that never gets fully frozen. Unless it’s lumps and uneven consistency you’re looking for there is no reason to insist on hard scooped ice cream milkshakes.

/When I worked there Burgerville’s shake fat content was 14%.

3 Likes

Just goes to show how there is profit in pandering to just about any fringe ideas out there

Which is strangely, highly accurate – or the cheese burgers are.

I’ve missed White Castle. It was a great part of my time living in Chicago. I was convinced that White Castle cured hangovers then. The fries, however are a waste of time.

2 Likes

Did they by chance have a “whiskey” flavor?

Never get the fries. Onion rings.
6 pack, Rings, and a Large Mix.