In wake of terror attack in France, Newt Gingrich wants first amendment repealed in America

He’s talking about Bluman v. FEC FEC | Legal | Court cases

That however, is only about non-citizens and campaign spending. Saying non-citizens aren’t covered by the first amendment is a total misrepresentation.

10 Likes

Remember how people have been predicting that the GOP would implode after their ‘decision’ to nominate a crazy outlier with wild fascistic ideas and no understanding of (or interest in) the core principles of American democracy? Here’s lovable serial philanderer Newt “Screw as I say, not screw as I screw” Gingrich to set the record straight and demonstrate that Donald Trump isn’t doing much more than voicing the feelings of what passes for the mainstream of the GOP.

Maybe we should make the litmus test not whether someone believes in Sharia law, but whether they advocate ignoring key parts of the Bill of Rights when convenient. In which case, Mr Gingrich – and a good many other members of the US establishment, not only Republicans – are likely to find themselves on the first plane out.

Can’t say they’ll be missed.

14 Likes

Not to mention advocates of male circumcision, laws against blasphemy and Sunday closing laws…

14 Likes

‘Next plane out’ sounds fine and dandy, but who in their right mind is gonna let it land anywhere else?

6 Likes

Ugh, Sunday closing laws piss me off! (That one actually tempts me, for a second or two.)

7 Likes

Gingrich:

"We should frankly test every person here who is of a Muslim background..."

Where is he speaking only of non-citizens?

13 Likes

I dunno…, seems like planes full, or partly full, of Muslim passengers (some of whom may even be Sharia-lovers) are able to take off and land all over the world, every day, without incident.

Do you know something I don’t?

He’s talking about one with Gingrich on it.

6 Likes

Nononono, I meant with Gingrich et al on board.

4 Likes

Sure…because a terrorist might kill thousands of people…but they would never lie.

7 Likes

And treating people as suspects based solely on their background wouldn’t make them feel alienated and even potentially backfire. Really, the more I think about this proposal the more I think, Hey, what could possibly go wrong?

15 Likes

Attack on egyptology check

6 Likes

Well, it’s those Muslims, you know. They’re Other.

9 Likes

And once we find the dodgy ones lets put a badge on them like say a yellow crescent moon. You know just to warn people.

6 Likes

Nah. Cheney was more of a Villain.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be terribly sad if there were suddenly a bunch of CIA, NSA, FBI, and other lovely agency people suddenly becoming felons and heading to jail?

6 Likes

Did I say anything about letting the plane land?

Don’t you go putting words in my mouth now.

6 Likes

I was compiling a long question as to why Republicans of late are so eager to slip into the cold, inhuman comfort of fascism/theocracy, but I’ll spare you and everyone else and just say that Newt, as self-proclaimed “historian”, should be absolutely, unequivocally, ashamed of himself for uttering such things. But that would mean he has to hold the ability to feel shame, or to have a shred of dignity or integrity. How sad that this is what the Republican elite has become.

7 Likes

I’m caught up on “we should test every person who is Muslim, and if they believe in Sharia…”

What is this test? Is it a blood test?

19 Likes

Gingrich the Newt

1 Like