Indonesia punishes self-quarantine violators by locking them up in haunted houses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/23/indonesia-punishes-self-quaran.html

4 Likes

15 Likes

That sounds awesome, how do I get in on that? Of course, the houses are probably dilapidated, which is considerably less awesome. But if I fix the place up, can I keep it?

8 Likes

I’m not sure whether I should consider this cruel or silly.

3 Likes

My ex is Malaysian and on our first trip to her home town some relatives gave us a tour of the area. They pointed out a haunted house which was due for demolition. I had the same reaction as you. Why not just rent it to westerners. They’d love it. My hosts were outraged that I would consider doing that to innocent foreigners.

11 Likes

Yeah, a lot of those Asian spirits and ghosts aren’t all friendly like our Western “Canterville-style” ghosts…

1 Like

But they are equally real imaginary.

3 Likes

While true, it takes the fun out of a haunted house story ehh?

3 Likes

As my quarantine partner pointed out, the biggest downside is you’d be holed up with other people that violated these rules.

4 Likes

Unless the ghosts got them…

3 Likes
3 Likes

If I’ve learnt anything from ghost stories; locking up plague victims in houses is how you get haunted houses.

7 Likes

Why not both?

1 Like

Oh suddenly a bunch of goths just bought plane tickets to Indonesia.

1 Like

That video is absolutely fascinating. Such a massive cultural difference…Hard to imagine an inexpensive, but upkept residence sitting vacant for 20 years simply due to a person dying within - at least on such a massive scale.

3 Likes

Culture programming is strong in some places.

When I have visited relatives in China, or Chinese-born naturalized American relatives in the U.S., and I compare their priorities with mine, I feel the friction in the thought-systems as they invariably collide and gracelessly overlap. Taboo is taboo, it’s one of the few durable behavior artifacts that gets transmitted pretty effectively from one generation to the next.

And yet, taboos are not without their biological/evolutionary reasons.

Yeah… well… this one below is also, for explicitly stronger reasons (warning y’all–if you don’t like ghosts and haunting stories DO NOT read):

2 Likes

The idea of divers sighting ghosts underwater is a pretty chilling image for a dreary afternoon. Interesting stuff!

2 Likes

So, there’s the Rio-Niterói bridge in Rio that was built in the 60s and legend says that a lot of workers died while building it and some diver bodies are embedded into the concrete underwater because of some accidents. There’s actually a part of the bridge that is hollow and has a kind of administrative room inside and it’s said to be very creepy and haunted.

When I was a child I disliked crossing the bridge at night, the thought of a car accident and falling from it on the dark cold water below creeped me out.

I totally drew the ghost divers under the bridge in a two page comic some years ago, complete with broken visors showing skulls with hollowed eye sockets and stained diving suits, dragging unfortunate souls already drowning into the murky dark waters.

2 Likes