Informative and thorough video on how to best sterilize your groceries

I have been washing non-organic produce with a few drops dr.bronners since before corona became a topic. It’s a good way of removing oil-based pesticides. Since corona everything gets a soapy rinse.
The excessive use of disinfectant in that seems wasteful and a bit over the top.
Put slow/non perishable food in a big box and let it sit there for a few days.
Give all perishable food a soapy bath.
Wash your hands with soap after touching stuff that could be contaminated.
Wear sth over your mouth and nose when outside or in contact with strangers (or infected people).
Anything will be better than nothing if sth flys your way after a cough or sneeze, even that big ugly scarve from your ex’s favorite football team.

2 Likes

I’m actually doing just that after going out. After putting my shoes into a boot tray I go to the washing machine, strip off coat, pants, shirt and throw them in the washer. Then I deal with the bags of stuff pretty much as in the video or I leave certain things alone to “quarantine” for several days. Then after washing hands I do a load of laundry.

I read an account from a woman in the Wuhan area of China who had to take care of her mother and that’s pretty much what she did. She and her mother are ok (so far).

that being said, headline is wrong, you are not Sterilizing your groceries.
You are using what is referred to as “Sterile Technique” to handle your groceries.

9 Likes

The news of covid-19 broke a couple weeks after I finished binging all 8 seasons of Monk. I think it helped me get into the proper mindset, except now I want to touch the tips of everything. :crazy_face: :point_right: :mailbox_closed:

10 Likes

We made it up to season 7 before getting distracted a few months back. Now we just started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon, and Tony Shaloub is in that as well. There are times when Monk shines through.

6 Likes

We’ve been doing something along these lines for the past week or so.
But that bit about cloth bags being somehow more of a risk irks me. There is absolutely no evidence that my cloth, reusable bag, that I brought in and will use to bag my own stuff, is any more likely to be a vector than a single use plastic bag that has passed through unknown amounts of contact. Bad players out there are using this pandemic to roll back environmental gains. In Maine they just postponed our plastic bag ban for 2/3 of a year. We worked SO hard for that.
BTW, I know there are bigger, badder things. We just worked so hard for that little victory, and now it’s being snatched away.

5 Likes

I admit there were a few times I wanted to take a break but my girlfriend was all in until every episode was watched.

I don’t think I have heard of the show. I will give it a watch as soon as I get over my current obsession watching people use lathes on YouTube. It’s just so relaxing. Also nice to see solvable problems solved while the rest of the planet implodes.

3 Likes

Additionally there aren’t any confirmed cases of what my mom (a retired RN who used to be her hospital’s pandemic point person) called “tertiary” transmissions. Don’t know if she’s using that right. But no cases of some one picking it up from surfaces, or spaces after an infected person has passed through. All known transmissions took place with direct contact or the direct presence of infected person. And while it’s possible, smear contamination via the hands and objects or surfaces doesn’t seem to be the main vector this is spreading by.

So frankly. Going to the super market in the first place is the biggest risk you’re taking with your groceries. And of all the things you can do to protect yourself. This one is likely the least effective.

General food safety with covid:

10 Likes

I’m an ex nurse, and my hazy memory of that career led me to the same conclusion.

4 Likes

I read that, too but I thought that she actually remained Coronavirus free while treating her mother who was positive. I can’t find the article, but I thought the upshot was how her quarantine procedures prevented infection in the most dire circumstances.

3 Likes

Funny, my wife and I went the opposite route; after Mrs Maisel we started on Monk, but got distracted. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I think in the UP it’s pizza and pasties. The Soo has a unusually large number of pizza places considering how small of a town it is. I’m sure the college has something to do with that.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s not so informative.

7 Likes

Mrs Maisel is exceptionally good. Very much worth the time.

Based around the underground comedy scene of late 1950’s to early 1960’s New York. Great cast, great writing, amazing costume & production work.

6 Likes

Full thread:

7 Likes

Wait, is this satire?

I went camping there many many years ago. Took a break from camping to have a little boat ride through the locks then lunch at a pizza place.

Secret ingredient to my Grandma’s pastie recipe: rutabaga.

1 Like

There are several topics I have to run through the idiot-filter before I can make sense of them. Takeout food is a big one. But (A) there’s too much money at stake to do the sensible thing and shut down all restaurant food entirely.

And (B) This country has gotten so far out of the habit of people cooking for themselves, we’d have a whole lot of hungry people who can’t take care of themselves otherwise.

I’m living in a life support bubble where no takeout food is going to be consumed until we’ve all been vaccinated.

2 Likes

Yeah, we should get that Nihilist Arby’s stuff narrated up while going through this routine, eh?

cannibalpeas> give it another squirt of peroxide
Really bleachy bag by the end of all this, maybe. Good times with the red dyes later.
cannibalpeas> I’ve worked in too many restaurants.
Sounds better than having hired too many food tasters. (Like, an 18-day rotating symptom buffer.)

2 Likes

Be 94. Go to the grocers and end up asking half the staff where cole slaw got to. Then thank the deli guy with thanks.

Yeah, I’m running out of sticks for the planters and I don’t know exactly what to do about that other one either.

2 Likes

I’m surprised there wasn’t a recommendation to just wash the reusable bag.

Since the lockdown, on a recent visit to one store asked that we place reusable bags on the floor instead of the counter when loading them up. It makes a bit of sense that the store is accountable for single-use bags, but can’t account for the cleanliness of reusable bags.

I’ve seen a lot of news articles predating coronavirus about e-coli on shopping bags. All I’ve seen are studies about potential risks. There are quite a few news articles trying to scare people. The only actual example I’ve found so far was someone violently ill with norovirus infected a reusable bag that was in the same room that later infected others. In practice it sounds like it’s not necessary to wash after every single use, just be aware of the risk and wash periodically.

3 Likes