Informative and thorough video on how to best sterilize your groceries

Thanks for linking to this. My antennae went off when he said he was a family doctor talking about stuff that was outside of his profession. He did seem to be trying his best to use principles from his day job to help people, but the 17 days thing stuck out to me. That study made the rounds a few days ago and while I’m not one to read these studies, it said RNA was found after 17 days and the next sentence was “Although these data cannot be used to determine whether transmission occurred from contaminated surfaces, further study of fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 aboard cruise ships is warranted.” So I feel like it was mischaracterized in the video.

2 Likes

Representatives of the big three package deliverers in the United States — U.P.S., FedEx and the Postal Service — insisted there is no need. “The C.D.C. has advised that there is a low risk of transmission on packages,” said Matthew O’Conner, a spokesman for U.P.S. FedEx, in a statement. “The guidance from the W.H.O. is that the likelihood of an infected person contaminating commercial goods is low, and the risk of catching the virus that causes COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, traveled, and exposed to different conditions and temperature is also low.”

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be comfortable doing that at the best of times. We put the checked-out items back in the cart and wheel it out to the car, then transfer to reusable bags for the trip home.

3 Likes

Hm. I don’t think he mentioned which spray disinfectant he was using. Besides bleach solution and peroxide, is there an authoritative list of which ones work?

A wipe with a soapy cloth on surfaces might be just as good, and I’ll bet that it’s easier to find bars of plain soap than disinfectant spray right now.

That’s a good approach I hadn’t thought of. Thanks.

2 Likes

This is excellent—thank you!

I do the same thing with foldable plastic boxes. The hinging may make them a little less than ideal as far as cleaning goes, but a soapy spray/soak and rinse should work. I also take a cooler for cold stuff that can also be washed.

You may get asked for your receipt when heading out the door, but otherwise, there’s no real difference (except that you know where your bags have been).

2 Likes

We’ve been doing grocery wipe-downs here since last Saturday. One item that could slip disinfection are your keys. If you’ve just returned from an area outside of your “clean-control” (ex: the market) and you must use your car’s ignition key to operate your car, then any contaminated items that you handled at the market could contaminate your hands which could then contaminate your ignition key and any other keys that are bunched up with it; disinfect those keys as you would your groceries. Separating your ignition key from the others before driving out would make the disinfection process easier (only need to clean the ignitions key) and facilitate more thorough cleaning.

1 Like

Are most in-store credit card transaction tap or wave in the US? I’d heard that most American card aren’t pin-and -chip, but I don’t know if that’s still current.

Here (Australia) a lot of places are not accepting cash at the moment.

Not really card tap and pay at least I haven’t seen that much. I do prefer the app experience now since I know it’s a two way conversation and it way more secure.

Also I get to touch nothing but my phone.

1 Like

The worst thing about this whole “clean your groceries” game is that there’s no points counter to let you know how you’re doing, and when you wipe and destroy a COVID patch they could at least have a sound effect.

Rating: Boring, would not play again unless forced.

5 Likes

I wonder how much of that boils down to the toxic form of masculinity? There’s such a long tradition of “cooking is for the girls” here in 'Murica, and that’s really wrong. Cooking is a survival skill.

I’m very glad that I at least managed to pick up some basic cooking skills. I’m not going to be a gourmet chef, ever, but I can at least pick up a skillet and make something I (and my folks, when they’re home) can enjoy.

3 Likes

I’m sure that’s part of it. More than anything else, though, its been about moving green pieces of paper around as much as possible never mind the consequences.

When I was a child, eating out was still considered a special, celebratory thing that might happen a few times a year. And when you walked in the door, there was a sense of being pampered a bit. (Maybe I was just lucky)

But as I got out of the house and started paying my own restaurant tabs, I noticed it becoming a routine, kind of industrial process. Its not special anymore.

Except now, that sense is coming back with a vengence! Wonder when sit down meals at a restaurant will be a thing again?

2 Likes

That’s the nice thing about nuclear fallout; you can track it with a Geiger counter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.